Milsurp Out of Battery discharge?

alleycat

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Cosmoline Junkie
914   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I could use some advice on this one.

I was firing lacquer-coated Romanian 8mm mauser ammo from a freshly opened spam can in my FN-49 yesterday. All of a sudden, on shot 4 of 5 loaded in the 10-round mag, I got a large burst of air and "specks" of something in my face, with a slight trickle of blood down my cheek and the tip of my nose. I found this little gem holding the bolt open. Seems like I've had my first out of battery discharge, but I'm not sure. My first thought was "thank God for safety glasses!" and my second is "what the heck happened here?".

Headspace on the rifle has been verified ok....I found no damage to the rifle, bolt carrier, or bolt. Two-piece firing pin, spring, and extractor are ok and don't show any marks or scratches.....there was nothing lodged in the barrel. Ammo looks brand new, and I found no other shrapnel nearby. Receiver appears ok and there isn't anything in the chamber...not even a scratch. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the mag follower or dust cover. I'd like to do something to make sure this doesn't happen again but I'm stumped......Any ideas on what might have caused this?

View attachment 214990View attachment 214991View attachment 214992

Last edited:
After reading your post many times, I'm pretty much stumped. Best i can come up with is maybe your firing pin dident retract completely causeing it to impact the primer before being completely chambered.

Last edited:
There are some questions I have.
1: did you pull the trigger then this happend or was it a trigger pull normal shot happend then on its own went off?
2: was the firing pin ok dirty bent or stuck?

If it is in fact the correct ammo, oab discharge seems to be possible, realistically it could have been a failure with the case as well, seems like a 1 in 1000000 possibility two things would fail but crazier things have happened

Back
Top Bottom