• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

M92 PAP & SB47 Brace & Romanian 75rd Drum Review

I already have an AK (Polish Tantal in 5.45) but when I saw the PAP at Cherokee for $399 I thought I'd take the plunge into a new caliber, 7.62x39. Yeah, I finally took the plunge into yet another new caliber...

The PAP pistol is a hoot to shoot. Huge muzzle flash. Loud. Huge concussion. Fireball is about the size of a soccer ball. But a pistol AK is kinda awkward to shoot. A fun range toy, though.

But then I fondled one of these new-fangled arm braces at Dobbs Defense a few weeks ago. They look rubbery and flimsy in pictures but boy howdy do they shoulder well. Very well.

So I ordered the brace from J&G for $119 plus shipping. Installation was a snap. Remove pistol grip, insert brace, re-insert grip. Done. Poor man's sbr, so to speak. And no wait for the tax stamp to come through. What was the ATF thinking when they approved these? Maybe I should buy five more as a hedge against them being banned one day...just sayin'...

Shot her with the brace for the first time at Norcross Gun Club today. At 25 yards with me behind the trigger it is minute of softball. Maybe a large grapefruit. I got the sights adjusted and was hitting consistently.

There is less felt concussion when you have it shouldered. The ergonomics are good and the only modification I may make are the sharp edges around the front part of the brace where it meets the receiver. It was starting to rub my nose some but nothing severe.

Function has been flawless with steel and Tapco plastic magazines. I got the drum in the mail the other day and loaded it up. Had a couple of stove pipes but I'm going to withhold judgement on the drum until I follow the loading directions more closely and get a few more rounds through her.

Fit and finish are good on the PAP. Removing the gas tube is a little awkward. The pin that holds the gas tube in place is very tight. Closing the hinged top cover puts tension against the pin so you have to have the top cover in the up position to remove the tube. I use a large blade screwdriver to twist against the pin and the back side of the gas tube to get it to move so I can remove the gas tube.

I tried bump-firing but wasn't very successful. Need more practice and a place to shoot outside so I don't hit the floor, walls, ceiling, or target hangers. :p The Tantal bumps like a demon but the PAP has significantly more recoil and will take a different technique.

In conclusion, I am delighted with my purchase. Looking forward to more range time for sure. The only other modification I can think of would be a muzzle device. Jury is still out on that one. Leaning towards a Krink style but will shoot her for a while before I spend any more money on her.

What SBR I see no sbr here ;) ATF please excuse this man he was kidding about shouldering it. He actually used it as a brace! lol

View attachment 266591i just back from the rang with my M92

the AK was $424 after tax

the muzzle break and detent from CNC warrior $41.50 for the break and $9.79 for the detent shipped price

the "Brace" was $134 shipped

so total was about $610

the felt recoil on the shoulder is very minimal (i shoot mostly old bolt actions), the rifle was pretty accurate for what it is and with some more practice it may be better.

the ak74 style muzzle break put out two, 2 foot flames straight out the sides of the break,(pretty bad ass) i asked the man in the booth next to me shoot it twice so i could see it

the "brace" was easy to install, and it is mostly made of rubber, except the support tube. shouldering the rifle was very easy on the shoulder, like i said, "very low felt recoil"

i did polish all the control surfaces in the pistol before i shot it, including the trigger, hammer, bottom of the bolt, top of the dis-connector, and the sides of the guyed rails, its a much smother AK than when i first got it

the front sight post is a bit canted on mine but the sight were right on

i love this little flame shooter now

View attachment 266591i just back from the rang with my M92

the AK was $424 after tax

the muzzle break and detent from CNC warrior $41.50 for the break and $9.79 for the detent shipped price

the "Brace" was $134 shipped

so total was about $610

the felt recoil on the shoulder is very minimal (i shoot mostly old bolt actions), the rifle was pretty accurate for what it is and with some more practice it may be better.

the ak74 style muzzle break put out two, 2 foot flames straight out the sides of the break,(pretty bad ass) i asked the man in the booth next to me shoot it twice so i could see it

the "brace" was easy to install, and it is mostly made of rubber, except the support tube. shouldering the rifle was very easy on the shoulder, like i said, "very low felt recoil"

i did polish all the control surfaces in the pistol before i shot it, including the trigger, hammer, bottom of the bolt, top of the dis-connector, and the sides of the guyed rails, its a much smother AK than when i first got it

the front sight post is a bit canted on mine but the sight were right on

i love this little flame shooter now
Some pics of the flames coming out of side would be epic!

Back
Top Bottom