• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 30 carbine gunsmith or help needed

mhayes

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
43   0
Reaction score
Ok, so I am new to this generation of firearms. I bought this one awhile back and just haven't had a chance to get out to shoot it. It is a Winchester receiver and stock but unsure of the rest of the parts. The gun came from a friend of mine and we shoot it at his place before i purchased, maybe 10-15 rounds. We took it out to shoot the other day and i got 3 rounds out of it before the bolt stuck half closed as it was loading a round. I did not see any reason for round to jam as bolt as it was kinda loose in there when this happened. I could not get it to close all the way even after removing the mag and the round it was trying to load. With just a little pressure and a suggestive tap from my palm it closed. I went to open bolt and reload mag and the bolt came apart in 2 pieces. I am assuming from what i see online looking at schematics there is a pin or something that has broke or was missing. I have not had this gun completely apart, but did a light cleaning on it when i got it home. No issues until now. I am either needing some advise on how find what broke or a local to me gunsmith. If someone would be willing to chat on phone and maybe walk me through it or tell me of a good smith around Habersham or Gainesville that would be knowledgeable on these guns that would be awesome. I can take pics later tonight to show what I am talking about if needed. Thanks in advance.

Matt

Most of the feeding issues with the Carbines is the mag. Make sure you have a GI mag, they almost always feed correctly. Next is the Action (recoil) spring, they can be weak and compressed. Original 60+ year old springs lose some "spring". It should be just over 10" long out of the gun. Any shorter, replace it.

Bolt tool needed for bolt work, get it from Sarco.-

http://carbine.atwebpages.com/carbine bolt.htm

Most of the feeding issues with the Carbines is the mag. Make sure you have a GI mag, they almost always feed correctly. Next is the Action (recoil) spring, they can be weak and compressed. Original 60+ year old springs lose some "spring". It should be just over 10" long out of the gun. Any shorter, replace it.

Bolt tool needed for bolt work, get it from Sarco.-

http://carbine.atwebpages.com/carbine bolt.htm

It appears in the video it’s pretty hard to get the bolt apart and out of the rifle with out disassembling rifle. But this one came apart while shooting it at the range. So should I assume that nothing is broke and that it was probably just put back together wrong years ago?

Unless it broke, the extractor is all I can think of that can depart the bolt

The bolt can be assembled and disassembled without the special tool. I may have used a small c clamp, it was 15 years ago so I do not recall the details, but it is doable.

Should be youtubes on bolt assembly and disassembly, look and see how your bolt compares.

If you were closer I could get you going as I have spare parts for those bolts.

Post a detailed pic of what you have.

DEE83A50-B25E-4D53-A3BC-7F06E4E282F8.jpeg

Attachments

• 16244628-F66B-4194-8226-E8911AE13591.jpeg
    16244628-F66B-4194-8226-E8911AE13591.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 44
Ok so the above pictures is what I have I haven’t taken rifle apart yet to see what may be wrong. The bolt was lodged in the receiver. When I cycled the bolt by hand it fell out. Now with the charging handle locked back when you tilt the rifle down and up you here something moving. Sliding back and forth. Is there a pin or clip that should be holding the handle and bolt together?

There is no mechanical fastener attaching the oprod to the bolt.

It fits over the right lug and the raceway holds it in place.

If held at the correct spot, the oprod can be removed from the bolt with outward pressure. A worn bolt or oprod can disconnect itself with little effort.

Take the stock off and see what is loose.

Back
Top Bottom