• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

M1 30 carbine gunsmith or help needed

While you can get the gas piston nut tool to tighten, but you may be able to make one from an old socket. I do not know the torques spec on the nut, as I am sure it has one, but for your purposes, just tight a decent amount and don't over torque.

This in itself should NOT allow your gun to disassemble itself during operation...still pondering what happened?

In disassemble, you have to find the slot in the slide rail on the barrel, rear portion, towards the chamber area, on the side of the barrel. You do this with the action spring and action spring guide rod removed. That is accomplished by grabbing the portion of the spring and rod that goes into the slide. As you pull back towards the action, you push outward away from the hole in the slide that was holding it, and then remove the rod and spring from the hole in the receiver itself.

Now you can manipulate the slide/charging handle back in forth in mock "operation". IF the bolt was still in place, you see the bolt engage and disengage from the locking areas in the receiver. As yours already has the bolt out, you can just look for the disassembly notch on the receiver, right side, as you pull the charging handle rearward.

The difficult part is finding that sweet spot that allows the large heavy "block" portion of the slide, to tip downward, out of the barrel slide rail cut and the charging handle to lift upward out of the receiver slot on the right side of the receiver.

It takes doing it a few times before it all makes sense.

I have a GI piston tool.

That nut should not have come out . It is not removed for any user level maintenance

I have a GI piston tool.

That nut should not have come out . It is not removed for any user level maintenance

You may need a new nut. Inspect carefully.
20200325_153509.jpg

Thanks guys. I’ll play with the bolt and charging handle later tonight. My thoughts are does the piston go in head stamp first so the nut holds it in place? I’m sure I’m fixing to find a YouTube video to walk me through it. I feel really stupid on this gun as I have never gotten into one. I have some bolt and AR knowledge and have built my own ARs before. So it’s just going to take me getting used to it. Thanks again for all the assistance

The piston goes in so it won't fall out once the nut is installed. Just the small shaft protrudes once it is installed.

If you can't find a way to tighten it, I can lend you my wrench.

Ok guys. I got it back together. Took me awhile of messing with the charging handle to get it free of the receiver got the piston and nut back in place and tight. Altough it makes me wonder if there is a spring or anything else that goes there or just the piston and the nut holds it in place. I do t understand the workings of the gas piston so I’m left a little confused. Don’t see anything broke or bad wear. So I assume it wasn’t put back together by owner correct before I got it. Anything else I need to know or do before fully assembling gun?

Well so I got it back together. And it seamed fine. I worked the action hard for 15-20 cycles. Looked good. Lubed it all up and was getting it back into stock and for grins pulled the action one more time. Out popped my bolt again. So here is a video if it uploads of the issue I think I’ve found. What do I need to do to fix it? When u pull back on the charging handle the piece on that side that slides in the grove of the receiver can actually wiggle loose and pop out of the guide. That allows enough room for the bolt to slide past the charging handle and come out.

Back
Top Bottom