• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking for a career change

steve2039

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
74   0
Reaction score
Good Afternoon ODT'ers!

This is rather lengthy but I'm pretty certain that I am not the only one on here in this position but I'm currently jobhunting.

I left working retail and went into Auto Sales in November after my hours went from 35-45 down to 15-20 a week. Let's just say after a few paychecks of scraping by and realizing I was barely making enough to cover my rent and child support, I had to make a move. Got lured into auto sales with "guaranteed salary, great money in commission, Sundays off and no more than 50 hours a week." After my 90 days, salary was the same, commission seemed to take a dive, and I was working 7 days a week and over May, June, and July, I was pulling between 290-310 hours a month.

After starting a job search at the beginning of July (actually while I was on vacation), I thought I was getting a nice job offer at a different dealer. I interviewed with a company who called my employer for a reference check and was canned about 2 hours after the phone call occurred. Since then, I have had a few interviews but nothing absolutely solid. Three jobs have told me I was "overqualified", two others were "interviewing for a position getting filled later" and one job (the one that called for reference) had extended an offer of employment until I got wheeled under the bus. A former manager called me last Saturday and told me that he was the reason I was not at the new job. The last week I've been relatively in shock and don't know if I should be rather angry or just let it pass. Kind of frustrated that a guy that terminated me decided it was in my best financial interest to not go to the other dealer. Seems backwards when it was higher salary, more commission, schedule that allowed me to see my son and the fact that...oh yeah, he termed me and anything beats $0 a week!

Fast forward to present day. I have been doing side jobs for my girlfriends parents and although its helping and they pay a decent rate, I feel that its a handout and overall just weird in general about it. I'm also having a problem with filing unemployment (have never done so and would rather work than sit on my butt) but bottom line is, I need something coming in. I have used every job board that I can think of and even applied with a few temp agencies. I have submitted resumes and apps to over 250 jobs. While I was employed, I was being relatively picky about what I was applying for. Now as bills keep coming in and side jobs are running low, I don't have that luxury.

What I am looking for is a position that is stable. I have Zero requirements but would prefer to have a position with Sundays off and full time (protection of hours). I would like a customer service job but am completely open to anything with a base pay rate. I have done retail for 12 years primarily as a customer service/sales associate. I currently reside in Dacula and in a year will more than likely be moving to the Bethlehem, Winder or Monroe Area. My job search has primarily been around 20-30 miles. Honestly due to the possibility of moving, I would like to stay around Gwinnett, Walton or Barrow. My background is clean, I have one ticket since licensed that I received in June.

If anyone on here has any suggestions outside of "I'm not trying hard enough", please let me know. If someone has a lead that turns into a Job, I am willing to pay you for the referral! I will also send my resume to anyone interested or who may know somewhere.

Skills I forgot to list:

-I was Master Certified in Sales and hit employee excellence for a vehicle manufacturer. One of 3 people at my dealership to hit the goals by April.

-Have P&C insurance license that I need to renew possibly. Expired in June and due to hours at last job, did not have time to get my continuing education done.

-Have utilized multiple POS systems with Lowes, AT&T, Bass Pro.

-3 years of forklift and cherry picker experience.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
It would be a forklift job but its better than nothing.

That's the truth of it. Went to their website today and only openings I found were credit service reps in Suwanee but followed the warehouse resume link and will probably go by there tomorrow. Submitted a few other resumes to leads you guys have given.

Appreciate all y'all's help since some of what I've submitted resumes and apps for aren't on your typical job boards.

Try the new caterpillar plant in Athens. Should pay half way decent. Also through the dept of labor ask about the Toyota plant in pendergrass. Hiring in full time around 15 hr

Try the new caterpillar plant in Athens. Should pay half way decent. Also through the dept of labor ask about the Toyota plant in pendergrass. Hiring in full time around 15 hr

Will do. Applied to caterpillar already a few times. Will look into Toyota also! Gonna do some street beating tomorrow and check some places out

Back
Top Bottom