• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loading 9mm for carbine.

My first serious 'project' now I'm getting into reloading is to develop a 147 or 150 gr 9mm recipe that will stay subsonic all the way out to the muzzle of a Ruger PCC so I can shoot suppressed.
Just went down that rabbit hole with 147 jhp's and after a loooong time and many powders,
I got it and what a nice pistol round it is considering I have many thousands here.
Very accurate round with less rise.

Just went down that rabbit hole with 147 jhp's and after a loooong time and many powders,
I got it and what a nice pistol round it is considering I have many thousands here.
Very accurate round with less rise.
What did you end up with as a load spec?

I know that people shouldn't trust any old stranger's loads, but I figure that since we're starting at the low end of the pressure curve, it's unlikely anyone's gonna lose any hands.

HS-6 in the carbine works very well.

I get anywhere from an additional 175fps (fast powder) to 260fps (HS-6 or AutoComp) shooting my loads in the Carbine as compared to a standard pistol with a 135 grain powder coated lead bullet.

6.6 HS-6, the 135 grain Bayou Bullet, is 1390fps from the 16inch carbine, and 1132fps from a Sig 226.

4.0 Red Dot delivers 1173 from the carbine and 1020fps from the Sig 226.

The Power Factor difference is eye opening.

I may have just worked up to it. I included it in the post to show the difference in performance when switching between a Carbine and a Pistol, not to provide load data.

I believe that Carbine will add velocity to any pistol load.

Tinkering with the 10mm in the carbine, as well as other pistol cartridges in carbines, I have found that the slowest burning powder listed in the manuals for that cartridge usually gives best velocity in the carbine. You have more burn time for the expanding powder to accelerate the bullet.

I am betting Bluedot would be the fastest in a 9mm carbine with most bullet weights. And with the long barrel, boom and flash won't be an issue that it is in pistol length barrels.

Rosewood

In Most Cases, The 9mm carbine is a blow back action. If too much powder or too slow of a powder is used, the bolt can begin to open prior to the barrel pressure dropping off to a safe level. The first indication that this is happening will be elongated primer indentations (primer swipes), and in an extreme case: ruptured base.

So, do not over do it, a 9mm major pistol (1911) can probably handle more pressure than a standard AR9.

The carbine can produce more velosity than the pistol but cannot necessarily handle as much pressure.

Back
Top Bottom