Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Kansas City

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • Texas

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Carolinas

Votes: 20 29.9%

• Total voters
For all you anti-Ga BBQ naysayers; there was a marathon of BBQ Pitmasters on last night. They started w/ 18 competitors from the 5 BBQ regions and then a Wild Card. A guy from Ga won the $50k prize. And considering that Myron Nixon is the winningest competitor in the BBQ world... :behindsofa::boink:
Dude opened a restaurant in Northern Virginia though. Doesn't do me any good. I don't know any good barbecue in Georgia anywhere near me. Closest good stuff I have found is in Aiken, SC. I'm going to try some place on St. Simon's pretty soon that I heard is good. The worst barbecue I have ever had in my life has been in Georgia. Definitely would love to be proved wrong.

i didnt know that there were so many type!
Neither did I. Certainly never knew Ga BBQ was a "type". The first episode I watched had the Ga boy vs Texas and Kansas City. He kept talking about Ga BBQ style and cooking. I thought he was just being a cocky little **** until the last episode where they showed Ga as a BBQ region.

I've eaten BBQ all my life. Can't say I've ever had bad BBQ. That said, I probably don't know really good BBQ. I imagine like everything else the quality isn't what it used to be...

For all you anti-Ga BBQ naysayers; there was a marathon of BBQ Pitmasters on last night. They started w/ 18 competitors from the 5 BBQ regions and then a Wild Card. A guy from Ga won the $50k prize. And considering that Myron Nixon is the winningest competitor in the BBQ world... :behindsofa::boink:

When Nixin had a restaurant, he admitted he didn't serve the same BBQ in it that he cooked for all those competitions. Tried it several times, the restaurant was pretty ordinary, trading off the name.

Dude opened a restaurant in Northern Virginia though. Doesn't do me any good. I don't know any good barbecue in Georgia anywhere near me. Closest good stuff I have found is in Aiken, SC. I'm going to try some place on St. Simon's pretty soon that I heard is good. The worst barbecue I have ever had in my life has been in Georgia. Definitely would love to be proved wrong.

one characteristic of GA BBQ is the use of hams instead of shoulders or whole hog. They do that because there is more yield with a ham, but it is also drier and less flavorful than shoulder - so that's why most GA BBQ features a heavy sweet tomato sauce. Also, a lot of GA BBQ is shredded in a chopper, which is done to disguised that it wasn't slow cooked. A lot of GA BBQ is closed to roast pork than true BBQ.

• Wow
Reactions: GFB
Back
Top Bottom