• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let's all find out..

Interesting article. My plan A is always get away, if possible. I've always felt the biggest miss in what little training I've had is line between how to shoot and when to shoot. An attorney can tell you in black and white what is "legal authorized use of deadly force," but in the real world, nothing is black and white. All various shades of grey in which we have to make a life altering decision in half a blink of an eye, and be able to carry it through. Just my thoughts.

If I had to choose between the Army's definition of "practical effective range" and this author's definition, I'd go with the Army one.

My preferred wording: The distance at which I, on an average day, shooting cold bore with no preparation or warm-up m, can shoot a super majority (say, 75%) of my shots into a group that fits well inside the chest area of a man size target.

I disagree with this quote:

"I propose another standard: 100% shot accountability, zero misses. And that’s just rounds into the violently assaultive criminal who’s providing the service of being the ballistic back-stop."

Good read.

IMO Max effective range comes down to the Shooter and the target. Which includes that Shooter's choice of weapon, training, physical/ mental abilities.

And I say target because it's easy to shoot a steel target at 200 yds. It's much harder to shoot a moving, thinking person shooting back at you and the physiological affects you endure. You may be able to shoot a dime at 1400 yds, but if your target is a better shot, faster, smarter, more illusive.... then your skills are irrelevant. As such, your "max effective range" diminishes; regardless of the caliber or weapon's capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom