• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

13C761CD-EB37-423B-B685-CFADC99B37FE.jpeg

Mo' bullets make it mo' betta.

Okay, I'll tell you what it is.

Really, what "they are" -- those are 2 variations of the same famous MG-08,
the "machine gun of 1908" used by the Germans in WWI. The Maxim Gun, designed by American weapons genius Hiram Maxim in the late 19th century.
(Maxim himself Moved to England and spent the second half of his life marketing his machine gun design for the European market, having pretty much conceded the U.S. military market to a competing medium machine gun design by John M. Browning.)

The one with the fully rectangular receiver is an 08 or 10 model fitted with a ventilated air-cooling jacket instead of the usual water-filled jacket. This was the first variation to be put in aircraft. But the switch away from water cooling only saved some weight, not enough for some aircraft to handle comfortably such as a hydrogen filled balloon or zepplin.

So the 1915 variant of original 1908 design was developed it was considered a light machine gun (LMG). The receiver was reduced in size with a visible stepped-down area at the rear of the top of the receiver. And other weight saving measures were taken, resulting in a weapon that weighed only approximately 30 pounds instead of the original 60 lbs. --neither figure counting any bipod, tripod, pintle mount, or other mounting system.

The air cooled Maxim 08/15 was widely used in aircraft during World War I. It is often called the "Spandau" gun but Spandau was simply a factory, an arsenal, that built it-- one of the two major German armories that build such machine guns.

Try this (these):

Name the general "type" of gun pictured here. I'm not looking for a specific manuf. name and model number.

Like the "Bulldog" revolvers made in America, England, and Belgium all have certain characteristics to put them in that class,

just as various .32 caliber semi automatic pistols of the World War I era, made in Spain or Italy or France, are all called the RUBY pistol when they're based on the same general design...

This category of small revolvers has its own distinctive name.

C58A7DD1-822B-4EAD-A866-6A5AA009C204.jpeg
684D85A9-EFE9-46CC-BA96-9BA0A4AC7232.jpeg
B6292182-9BDE-4BCF-A566-D726C84B970A.jpeg

Yes, velo-dog, since "velo" is an archaic reference to European term for bicycle riding / racing, and "dog" since these tiny little revolvers were meant to protect bicyclists from dogs.

EB136592-4451-47E4-B669-E2B9FBD6428D.jpeg
CA6C69DE-5773-4EFE-9473-0759313E99C9.jpeg

They typically used a 5.7 mm round that is ballistically similar to a 22 Magnum but not as high velocity .

Back
Top Bottom