• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Let’s play the “What is it?” game!

F7123D01-2A72-44BF-9F63-A85EB74249DB.png

QUOTE from NRA's article:

"The engraved MC-3 models were made for the Soviet Government and given to dignitaries. I had known about the pistol since its use in the 1956 Olympics but had never seen one. Although I have been to several Russian gun museums, I had never seen an MC-3 or the earlier prototype MC-1 or MC-2. Tula is the only museum I know to have one on display, although there may be others I have missed."

CMshoot, your turn.

The Cody Thunderbird revolver in .22 lr is what this is. It was cool in 1957 for $29 I believe. It was mostly aluminum except for the barrel insert, cylinder, and internals. It had a manual safety working when the hammer was down. It wasn't a particularly popular gun. It had a huge barrel to cylinder gap and what not so it ended up being a fail. Despite this, back in its day it was neat due to its mostly aluminum construction.

One article says the double-action trigger pull was in the neighborhood of 50 pounds!

No wonder it wasn't successful.
The Nagant Revolver that I have has a trigger pull that is beyond the max on my pull gauge. That's because it's a gas-seal revolver where the cylinder actually moves forward to enclose the forcing cone on the barrel when it rotates into firing position to minimize any gas escape. Trigger pull for single action firing isn't so bad.

The Cody Thunderbird revolver in .22 lr is what this is. It was cool in 1957 for $29 I believe. It was mostly aluminum except for the barrel insert, cylinder, and internals. It had a manual safety working when the hammer was down. It wasn't a particularly popular gun. It had a huge barrel to cylinder gap and what not so it ended up being a fail. Despite this, back in its day it was neat due to its mostly aluminum construction.

Yessir, you’re up.

A COUGER-- A CO-lt Python barrel
fitted to rUGER frame.

Never a factory mass-produced gun, but a very popular project among gunsmiths.
Similar to a "Smython" - a Smith & Wesson revolver frame fitted with a Python barrel.
Yes sir you are correct. It was common by gunsmiths like Bill Davis back in the 70s and 80s to mate Colt python barrels to Smith and Wesson k frames or Ruger security six frames. It had the best of both worlds. You had the tapered bore and underling weight of the Python barrel while having an easier/more durable action to tune for competitive shooting (particularly PPC shooting). I personally have never seen a smython or cougar in person, however I have seen PPC style revolvers at gun shows occasionally (S&W model 10 with heavier than standard barrel with Bomar sight rib). These guns are an interesting part of competition shooting history.

Back
Top Bottom