• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lead bullets in ruger P85 & P90, SW3913 and SA XD40SC ?????

jfcrail

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I want to reload ammo for the range and save $$$ and be able to shoot much more. I have been reloading 40SW and 38 special already with good results. My question is can I start to shoot lead wad cutters in the above weapons and really start to save without any problems to my weapons?

Glocks are ok with Lead rounds as long as you clean after you shoot a few rounds.My rule of thumb is I shoot about 100 rounds and clean the gun and shoot again...

- - - Updated - - -

For any other gun I would do the same shoot and clean and shoot and clean

Standard rifling: lead is OK
Polygonal rifling: leads easier, causing pressure buildup and potential catastrophic issues.

Lead hardness and velocity also affects leading in all barrels.
Are you talking semi-wadcutters, or full wadcutters?
Semi-wadcutters will feed easier.

Geez, never thought about feeding Wad cutters into the autos. The .38 wad work great in a revolver-- maybe I better try a few round nose. Thanks for the information. Any good recipes out there?

Geez, never thought about feeding Wad cutters into the autos. The .38 wad work great in a revolver-- maybe I better try a few round nose. Thanks for the information. Any good recipes out there?

Smith and Wesson made a .38 spl. "wadcutter" semi-auto pistol but it's not a good idea in general for auto pistols or I should say it's rarely ever attempted. You can pick up 9mm cast for under $60 for 1K and your cost will run about $6 per 100/rounds if you don't count the brass as a cost (reused). Round nose will feed easier in general and for range work is a good choice.

Polygonal rifling has drawn some criticism (increased pressures) with cast lead and many will tell you to shoot only jacketed ammo. I consider it and shoot jacketed in mine. I purchased after-market barrels to shoot cast. HK said it's ok but clean after 250 rounds I think. So if I had to do it, I would but then would clean the barrel after 250 rounds or so. Good lead cast doesn't lead badly but I have witnessed poor leading in barrels so badly that after a cylinder full of ammo the rounds started tumbling. Strips of lead came out during bore cleaning.

The cleanup of the bore takes a bit longer but it's worth it especially in contrast with expensive factory rounds.

Last edited:
Smith made the model 52 for .38 Special WCs only. It was THE pistol to shoot for many years if you competed. Colt also had a 1911 outfitted for .38 WCs as well. Glocks are just fine shooting cast lead bullets. Now swaged are a different story. I don't shoot swaged lead bullets in ANYTHING. They are too soft and have a tendency to skid if pushed too hard. You load and shoot a cast bullet at around Lyman #2 alloy at moderate and sane speeds and pressure, and you should be fine. Bullet fit and alloy hardness are key.

You load and shoot a cast bullet at around Lyman #2 alloy at moderate and sane speeds and pressure, and you should be fine. Bullet fit and alloy hardness are key.

Dad and I were never accused of being sane.... :p Gas checks help when exploring the speed envelope with cast bullets.

Back
Top Bottom