• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Kel-Tec PF9

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
So i picked up a new keltec pf9, olive drab and blue for my summertime IWB edc. Took it out for the first time yesterday to break it in proper.

Accuracy:
So I started off with a paper test at about 7 yards for basic grouping with 1 second between each shot. I was able to hit all within a 6" circle.

Taking my time with each shot, I could hit a coke can 6 out of 7 times

At range and taking my time with each shot, I hit 3 out of 7 shots made at steel target at 50 yards (approximately 10" x 15")

Trigger
For a double action only, I will say that this is the best I have felt in the "pocket gun" category. It is 2 fold better than the p11 or ruger LCP. Smooth, with a repeatable and easily memorized break.

Reliability
I had 2 failures to fire, but I believe it was due to the ammo which was Tula Steel cased 9mm 115grn FMJ. Both of those rounds fired after being ejected, reloaded, and struck for a second time. I intend on testing 200rnds of Brass cased ammo in the near future.

While properly holding the weapon with two hand or a firm one hand grip, I had zero failures to feed or failure to extract.

While intentionally holding the weapon with one hand and only firmly enought to prevent it from leaving my hand upon recoil, I did experience a failure to feed on 3 occassions out of 14 rounds that I fired in this manner.

I fired 20 Winchester White Box JHP's with no feeding, firing or extraction issues. (While held properly)

Weapon fired under controlled shots and fast fire with no issue. (While held properly)

Durability/Contruction
Pretty simple in design with a composite frame with integrated aluminum rails to accept the slide. The blue appears to be good and the frame has a few sharp areas that could be easily smoothed with a razor blade. Take down is simple and require nothing more than the rim of a 9mm casing which is nice. Plastic guiderod with a double spring setup. Guide rod looks fine after 100 rounds with not noticable deformation, but I would consider upgrading to an aluminum or metal.

Slide locks up tight and so long as there is a loaded mag in the weapon, there is minimal rattle between slide rail and slide. If there is not a loaded mag in the weapon, it does have the "baby" rattle characteric as described by others.

Slide release is stupid tight... to the point where I do not use it (since I am left handed, I typically use my left index fingure to release a slide) and simply pull the slide back and release after loading a new mag. This could be approved upon greatly.

Mag release is now metal versus plastic and being left handed, I did not experience the accidental mag release that many right handed people have. Perhaps keltec felt bad for us southpaws and designed a weapon that only we could use efficiently? haha. doubt it. Anyways, if you are right handed, and gripping this weapon properly, it is common for your right thumb to drift down onto the mag release and depress it. Keltec should do something to improve upon this. Ideas include molding a small lip around it or simply recess it further into the frame.

Pros: Super slim and confortable iwb with a basic (uncle mikes) holster

Cons: Not a pleasure to shoot for any length due to magnified recoil and small grip. Prone to failure to feed if not held firmly. Right handers must be mindful of thumb drift during fire as it may depress the mag release

Overall: Fantastic and reliable, easily concealable and light weight, with no failure to fire, feed, or extract (if held properly) in the 120 round (100 fmj and 20 jhp) break in period.

I would highly recommend this to anyone (especially lefties! lol) who is looking for an affordable but quality "pocket gun"

For me, trigger pull was key and the kel tec pf9 was the only one even remotely managable for me.

Hope this helps for any of you considering this weapon!

Last edited:
thanks bear... i typically shoot the quality brass stuff... figured if it would eat the ****... eat would love the gold

Another thing to mention on this pistol is the say it will handle the +P munitions, but not continuously. Meaning I may carry +P in it, but i would not burn through 200 rounds of the stuff at the range.

Good review. I have a pf9 and could not agree more with how easy it is to carry in a holster or just on a belt clip. I am impressed with your accuracy, I still have a hard time hitting much past 12yrds.

Good review. I have a pf9 and could not agree more with how easy it is to carry in a holster or just on a belt clip. I am impressed with your accuracy, I still have a hard time hitting much past 12yrds.

going back and looking at the steel plate up close last weekend.. i would say it is closer to 12" wide by 18" tall. Not a big difference, but still a bit larger than I originally remembered. Regardless, I am still please with the accuracy of it.

I am going to proabably try some grip modifications to the PF9....If I dick it up its only 34 bucks for a new one in your choice of colors black, grey or OD....

I am going to proabably try some grip modifications to the PF9....If I dick it up its only 34 bucks for a new one in your choice of colors black, grey or OD....

i cleaned up the sharp edges with an exacto knife and added the 7 dollar hogue slip on grip. Amazing difference in feel, grip, and fire.

The rubber grip makes all the difference.

Does it stick to clothing though?....On a side note I am going to order a new grip in black or OD and try and make a completely changed up design on it. Don't want to mess up the "Bilfold Brown" grip I have now, since as of now that color can not be ordered for replacement.

Back
Top Bottom