• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Japanese Mini-Truck

First fill up, was at half a tank. Nothing like 4 gallon top off for an extra 200 miles.
PXL_20201220_153005960.PORTRAIT.jpg

Id rather spend that kind money one on of these vs an ATV as I believe for what I need around the house it makes more sense. Just not sure of the pitfalls/etc. I can fix 80% of things something like this provided I can get parts.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
You should damn sure be able to score one for a lot less than a new ATV. I like these things too. I believe Subaru made them for a while with all wheel drive. I saw a video a good while back on YouTube about a couple of guys in New Jersey that import these things. I know there has to be a parts source for them. When I worked at the port of Brunswick there was always at least one in the fenced off area waiting for Customs Service to clear it.

View attachment 2862028 View attachment 2862029
My Brother has one. A Mitsubishi brand, 4x4, with a dump bed that's rated for about 700 pounds. (Of course it can hold more, and has, but that's not what the factory recommends. The rating given to that vehicle's cargo capacity in the bed is on the low side.)

10 years ago when he got it, these were not legal for street use so it had to be trailered to the property and left there like an ATV or a Gator. I heard that now the industry has lobbied the government to amend the law so that you can actually get a license plate on these and drive them on the streets, but I haven't confirmed that.

As for parts, they are hard to find and expensive. Some parts can be found here in the US as used parts cannibalized from other of these type of vehicles. If you need to get a new part from Japan, there are some companies that specialize in import of auto parts from Japan for non-standard vehicles like this. But you'll pay a good penny and you'll have to wait a while for it to arrive.
If a damn Smart Car is street legal then there's no reason for these not to be. Only possible issue I could see would be the right hand drive.

I think it’s because these don’t pass current frontal and side-impact safety tests. Do these have air bags?
I doubt they have any airbags. From what I remember (if I'm right) once a vehicle is 25 years old it can be imported and crash regs, emissions etc doesn't matter.

When I get my retirement trailer down in Shelman Bluff I'm gonna need one of these. Everyone drives around in golf carts and side by sides down there.

I have literally not shut my truck off all weekend its been doing chores and moving things to places that my normal truck just couldn't do.

Back
Top Bottom