• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Japanese Mini-Truck

9151507A-7169-4591-81CC-52EDF466FF0E.jpeg
8603CD51-CCD5-4531-A648-AC52EDE057A1.jpeg

My Brother has one. A Mitsubishi brand, 4x4, with a dump bed that's rated for about 700 pounds. (Of course it can hold more, and has, but that's not what the factory recommends. The rating given to that vehicle's cargo capacity in the bed is on the low side.)

10 years ago when he got it, these were not legal for street use so it had to be trailered to the property and left there like an ATV or a Gator. I heard that now the industry has lobbied the government to amend the law so that you can actually get a license plate on these and drive them on the streets, but I haven't confirmed that.

As for parts, they are hard to find and expensive. Some parts can be found here in the US as used parts cannibalized from other of these type of vehicles. If you need to get a new part from Japan, there are some companies that specialize in import of auto parts from Japan for non-standard vehicles like this. But you'll pay a good penny and you'll have to wait a while for it to arrive.

I think your idea of this over an atv is a smart choice imo. Besides you could always ride to town to fill her up as it would be street legal
I don't think they are street legal per say, but I've seen people take them into small towns and slower limit roads with no issue. It would do in a pinch.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

View attachment 2862028 View attachment 2862029
My Brother has one. A Mitsubishi brand, 4x4, with a dump bed that's rated for about 700 pounds. (Of course it can hold more, and has, but that's not what the factory recommends. The rating given to that vehicle's cargo capacity in the bed is on the low side.)

10 years ago when he got it, these were not legal for street use so it had to be trailered to the property and left there like an ATV or a Gator. I heard that now the industry has lobbied the government to amend the law so that you can actually get a license plate on these and drive them on the streets, but I haven't confirmed that.

As for parts, they are hard to find and expensive. Some parts can be found here in the US as used parts cannibalized from other of these type of vehicles. If you need to get a new part from Japan, there are some companies that specialize in import of auto parts from Japan for non-standard vehicles like this. But you'll pay a good penny and you'll have to wait a while for it to arrive.
In 10’years what has been the major and minor issues he has had?

I think your idea of this over an atv is a smart choice imo. Besides you could always ride to town to fill her up as it would be street legal
They are a lot smaller than they appear to be in photos. You can get them down some tight trails that's for sure.

I don't think they are street legal per say, but I've seen people take them into small towns and slower limit roads with no issue. It would do in a pinch.

I believe the add said you can drive this one on the street..

These 21 states allow mini trucks to drive on public roads (some restrictions):

Alabama 25 mph speed restriction; not allowed on interstate highways

Arkansas 55 mph speed restriction; not allowed on interstate highways

California No speed restriction; allowed in certain specified areas

Florida 35 mph speed restriction

Idaho No speed restriction; access per Idaho Transportation Board

Illinois Under 35 mph speed restriction

Indiana No speed restriction; any public road except interstate highways

Kansas No speed restriction; not allowed on interstate highways

Kentucky No speed restriction; local ordinances apply to specific roads

Louisiana 55 mph speed restriction; no interstate or multi-lane highway use

Maine 35 mph speed restriction

Minnesota speed and access restrictions applied via local ordinances

Missouri 45 mph speed restriction; local ordinances

Nebraska No speed restriction; no access on interstate highways

New Hampshire 35 mph speed restriction; use within 25 miles of residence

North Dakota 55 mph speed restriction; no access to roads over 65 mph

Ohio 35 mph speed restriction

Oklahoma No speed restriction; not allowed on interstate highways

Tennessee 35 mph speed restriction; local ordinances apply

Utah 50 mph speed restriction; no access on interstate highways

Wyoming No speed restriction; no access on interstate highways

All other states not listed above have no specific laws governing the use of mini trucks on public roads, but most of these states allow “limited” or “incidental” use of mini trucks on public highways. It’s a good idea to contact your state public transportation department and find out what those limitations are for a mini truck.

This was from a 2018 article....

In 10’years what has been the major and minor issues he has had?

Something went wrong with the hydraulics for lifting the dump bed -- that cost $700 I think.

Other than that, it hasn't needed anything but standard maintenance items:

Tires (which are very odd size by the way, and have to be ordered by mail. No shop carries this size in stock).

The tailgate hinges and locking pins got bent, so he took that to a shop where they pounded everything straight and welded some reinforcing plates of metal on it.

The steel bed floor is wearing out both from abrasion of having hundreds of loads of gravel and stone put into it and then scraped out with a shovel, and rust --because this thing is usually put away while still damp and nobody bothers cleaning or drying the bed in between uses.

The gas cap needs replacing because if you fill the fuel tank and then drive on an incline some gas will slosh out right past the gas cap. He just makes a point not to fill it more than 2/3 of the way. It holds something like 8 gallons and gets pretty good fuel economy. The needle barely moves after using it for a whole day's work --although most of the time it is parked & you are working from it, and around it, not necessarily driving it all day.

The interior needs some work --one seat (the driver seat) had to be reupholstered.
It's is a right handed drive, by the way, so you have to do the gearshift with your left hand and the turn signal switch and wiper switch are in the opposite positions of where you would expect.

Back
Top Bottom