• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is hunting as popular as it once was?

My dad only took me hunting a couple times growing up. I hunted around the house with an air rifle. My Uncle in Law taught me how to deer hunt in my early 30s. I had to make all the mistakes to learn the skill. I've taken many deer along the way. Feeding deer and scents never really did much for me. I've hunted in plaid and camo. Mostly camo. I don't wash in special detergent. I've stalked and hunted out of a stand with equal success. I fished as much as I could growing up. I'm the only one in my family to own a boat. I'm a much more efficient hunter than I am a fisherman, but I enjoy both

Less skilled hunters too. My grandfather in his green plaid jacket could walk anywhere through the woods amd you wouldn't hear him until He asked for a light...

None of my friends can walk through the woods w/o snapping every twig..
Woodsmanship is paramount. Having a good teacher shortens the learning curve tremendously.

why learn about how to hunt? buy corn, a ladder, a camera and in 3 days you got a deer. Its always take the easy road. Or go to a pay farm and pay for a buck.
When I was cutting my teeth hunting, there were none of the above mentioned things where I hunted. Times sure have changed in the past 4 decades.
I do use cameras, food plots and on occasion will put out corn, but I still believe that scouting and woodsmanship are paramount if you want to be successful on a regular basis. Heck, my kids could probably go to a piece of woods and show somebody where to kill deer. They’ve been following me around the woods since they were able to walk and have learned woodsmanship as I did when I hunted with my Father. Anybody can learn it if they try….It’s not rocket science.

Woodsmanship is paramount. Having a good teacher shortens the learning curve tremendously.
True. Another trend that I think has a very negative effect on woodsmanship skills is kids starting out their first hunting experience with deer hunting as opposed to squirrels and rabbits. I think part of the reason for this is the land issue where kids aren't lucky enough to just walk out the back door and hunt after school like I was. Now, most people have to drive to a lease or public land and parents just may not have enough time to get but just a few trips a year and they aren't going to "waste" it pursuing the lowly squirrel. Another reason, sadly, could be the "do it for the 'gram" crowd who wants the honor of killing the big buck but doesn't enjoy just being in the woods and learning things.

When I was growing up hunting with my uncle I didn’t realize it was a sport. We hunted food. My Dad always held 2 jobs and didn’t hunt. So I learned everything in the beginning from my uncle. i also never knew there was a DNR season. The time of year determined game hunted because of squirrel wolves and such. Even in my uncles later years in life he was a meat hunter. He lived in Kentucky and went hunting when he ran outta meat. Times have changed…

True. Another trend that I think has a very negative effect on woodsmanship skills is kids starting out their first hunting experience with deer hunting as opposed to squirrels and rabbits. I think part of the reason for this is the land issue where kids aren't lucky enough to just walk out the back door and hunt after school like I was. Now, most people have to drive to a lease or public land and parents just may not have enough time to get but just a few trips a year and they aren't going to "waste" it pursuing the lowly squirrel. Another reason, sadly, could be the "do it for the 'gram" crowd who wants the honor of killing the big buck but doesn't enjoy just being in the woods and learning things.
I've done all that mostly on my own. The last few decades was to get one as soon as possible and get on to something else

When I was growing up hunting with my uncle I didn’t realize it was a sport. We hunted food. My Dad always held 2 jobs and didn’t hunt. So I learned everything in the beginning from my uncle. i also never knew there was a DNR season. The time of year determined game hunted because of squirrel wolves and such. Even in my uncles later years in life he was a meat hunter. He lived in Kentucky and went hunting when he ran outta meat. Times have changed…
Pappy always said he had never known a deer to know what day it was. That deer will die just as good in March as it will in November if you are hungry. Also said a little salt and pepper will bring anything into season.

There is a lot of truth. My son and his buddies will get off the bus and hit the woods. One of the kids grandmother lives behind them and granny will cook them squirrel or whatever they clean.

I think the gram crowd does hurt hunting. I think kids see these monster farmed bucks and when they only see a decent deer they don’t understand how magnificent it is. Thankful my son loves to take a doe because they are made of cube steak. Once the freezer is full he is pretty much done. I wonder if it’s from not seeing the 130+ deer

I took a couple of people hunting this season and they each only got to go for one weekend and were each lucky enough to be able to shoot a pretty nice buck.

I tried to impress upon them that it's not usually that easy. While I was extremely happy for them and grateful they were able to have a successful hunt, I lamented the fact that they didn't get to experience all the hours and effort I put into it to give them that chance.

Not even close. When I first lived in Virginia ( Born and raised till 10 ) we used to get the first week of deer season off of school. Now here you can take two doe a day and all sorts of new laws to reduce populations. It used to be buck only till the last 3 days and on top of that, they reopen the season form Jan 1-6. Crazy! That just goes to show you how much hunting as a tradition has fallen off. Also the big monster 10,12 and 14 point bucks aren't as plentiful due to food competition. There is a bunch of smaller to mid size deer with those horses few and far between. Up here anyway.

Back
Top Bottom