• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is hunting as popular as it once was?

I can’t speak on it for “back in the day” but I can say all the old timers I run into on public land say how much more crowded it is these days compared to “their day”

Go to a WMA on opening day duck/deer/dove season. It’s ridiculous.

I can’t speak on it for “back in the day” but I can say all the old timers I run into on public land say how much more crowded it is these days compared to “their day”

Interesting. Just as anecdotal information, I know a lot of older poeple who hunt whose sons don't. I hunt public land but I'm primarily a squirrel hunter so that makes me an odd duck out there. Fortunately, our WMAs have varying rifle deer seasons which lets me avoid the rifle deer hunters as much as possible. Bowhunters aren't an issue.

I think that's attributed more to the lack of land rhen the amount of hunters.

Back then, you could hunt your families 10/100 acre land.... that's all subdivisions now.

Yep, more people on less land

Less skilled hunters too. My grandfather in his green plaid jacket could walk anywhere through the woods amd you wouldn't hear him until He asked for a light...

None of my friends can walk through the woods w/o snapping every twig..

Less skilled hunters too. My grandfather in his green plaid jacket could walk anywhere through the woods amd you wouldn't hear him until He asked for a light...

None of my friends can walk through the woods w/o snapping every twig..

Granddad didn't need a cell connected trail cam to watch over his bait pile either I bet. If most folks had to actually "hunt" I doubt it would be as popular as it is now. A lot of todays hunters wouldn't know a scrape line from a trot line (unless it had bags of walmart deer corn poured all around it)

seems like it's not near as popular as it was back in my youth. Tried to do a quick search for year over year numbers but didn't find much. What do you think?
Yes number hunters has declined nationwide according to
License sells. I read Wisconsin license sales down 60 percent this year .

Granddad didn't need a cell connected trail cam to watch over his bait pile either I bet. If most folks had to actually "hunt" I doubt it would be as popular as it is now. A lot of todays hunters wouldn't know a scrape line from a trot line (unless it had bags of walmart deer corn poured all around it)
You correct big portion of them don’t even know how dress or process fish or game .

Back
Top Bottom