• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is hunting as popular as it once was?

When I was a kid I scouted. I walked and found scapes and rubs and trails. I knew the terrain and made my best guess of what they would do. I didn’t have a camera. I didn’t have 300 bags of corn. I sat at an oak tree or persimmon tree and hoped for the best. I knew when the cows started stirring the deer weren’t far behind. I also did a fair amount of walking and stalking. I just enjoyed the woods.
Today you know when they are coming into the pile of corn you have been watching on the internet. You know which deer is coming out and when and you even name them. It takes away from it for me.

Started when I was a youngun hunting rabbit and squirrel with my uncle. Progressed to deer hunting, duck, dove and quail. I’m 70 and still hunt deer and quail. My deer hunting is on family land in Blairsville and quail can be anywhere I can get a trip up for.
We also fished, frog gigged and run trot lines and chased gallon milk jugs…

I believe license sales have been steadily decreasing over the past 20 years. I read that somewhere. I don’t know if it is true, but I believe it on the national scale.

In the south maybe not. My son has several friends who hunt. We are in a small country town, though.

I believe the commercialization of hunting via TV shows, etc has done more to hurt hunting than help. I’m a lifelong hunter from a family of lifelong hunters and the TV folks turn me off. I can’t stand them.

So many factors. For me hunting will never be the same as it used to be.

I would say yes. Go to our local high school and camo might as well be a school color. My son and his friends will strike out squirrel hunting in a heartbeat. Drive through any small town Saturday at lunch and there are as many Florida tags as there are Georgia.
I don't know that the clothing is necessarily a good indicator. Most of the soccer moms in Oconee County at my son's pick up line are wearing camo as well.

Today you know when they are coming into the pile of corn you have been watching on the internet. You know which deer is coming out and when and you even name them. It takes away from it for me.

There are times when I wish it was that easy, but that has not been the case for me. I do have cellular trail cams and I do put out bait and minerals. All it has ever done for me is give me an idea of what bucks are around and maybe keep a few more coming around instead of wandering off to a neighbors corn pile instead.

I have yet to be able to predict when a specific deer will be there or where exactly it will be when it is there. I have not taken even 1 decent size buck at or walking towards a bait pile. And that's not from lack of trying either.

I've introduced a couple of people in their 30s to deer hunting this season and last and they are now hooked for life.

I know a ton of younger people where I hunt that are way more into duck or turkey hunting than deer hunting. Dove and quail hunting seems to have declined a good bit since I was younger though.

I don't know that the clothing is necessarily a good indicator. Most of the soccer moms in Oconee County at my son's pick up line are wearing camo as well.
I live in oconee too. Had to take my kids a few times when they missed the bus or pick them up when we needed to be somewhere early. Blew me away how many people drive their kids to and from school every day when the bus runs for free. I could understand if it were unsafe but that's not the case. Also couldn't believe the number of parents who brought their kids Zaxby's or DQ. Asked the people in the school office and they said parents did that every day! Different world from the 80s!

I believe license sales have been steadily decreasing over the past 20 years. I read that somewhere. I don’t know if it is true, but I believe it on the national scale.

In the south maybe not. My son has several friends who hunt. We are in a small country town, though.

I believe the commercialization of hunting via TV shows, etc has done more to hurt hunting than help. I’m a lifelong hunter from a family of lifelong hunters and the TV folks turn me off. I can’t stand them.

So many factors. For me hunting will never be the same as it used to be.
I grew up watching Bill Dance and Roland Martin but the beauty of their programs was they could, and did, throw back almost all they caught.

Now we've got YouTube "content creators" making all these hunting videos that rely on kills most every show to keep the subscribers happy. No way they can be eating all those deer. Hopefully they find people to give them to.

Another thing that grinds my gears is how some whoop it up and lose their crap like they just won the Superbowl after making a shot from a shooting house on a buck coming to a bait pile. I'd prefer to see a little respect, but that's just me.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom