• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

is anybody into gold prospecting

I live a quarter mile from an old gold mine. The folks that own it still operate as a tourist attraction. My neighbor leases land to prospectors and my family owns about 2 miles of creek frontage beside the old mine. I guess I should pick this up haha

I have access to a sleuss but don't know how to use it. If anybody wants to come give me a few pointers I'd be glad to listen :)

Well I went and dug deep into a riffle looking for coarse gold. I picked up a clarifier and sifted several shovel fulls into a 5 gallon bucket. By the time I got done with that my son and I were cold. So I took the whole bucket home to pan out later. I think I am sore from carrying that bucket up the hill! I panned a scoop or two and nothing so far. Some pretty rocks though. I like the geology.

I found a decent creek last weekend that from what I have seen has not been panned in a while. Found some color in almost every pan but just couldn't find anything of size. I guess I need to head back out today and see if I can find at least a picker to get me going!

If you guys are heading out one day give me a ring! I'd love to see how to do this the right way. I made a 'homemade' sluice and am want to learn the right was to do this.

I walked down that bike trail by blankets creek / Sixes rd. but not sure where to start!

Question for someone who is interested in just learning more. I have done a bit of research on what to look for from a location perspective bends of creeks for example but where can I go to actually pan? State park national park? This is the stuff that seems a bit cloudy and hard to nail down a definitive answer.

Thanks,
Ross

Bought a pan myself, since the fishing hasn't been great at the lake I like to fish. Figured I might as well hit a couple small streams for gold. I've never done it, but it seems like a lot of fun. I'm headed up northeast of Gainesville.

- - - Updated - - -

Question for someone who is interested in just learning more. I have done a bit of research on what to look for from a location perspective bends of creeks for example but where can I go to actually pan? State park national park? This is the stuff that seems a bit cloudy and hard to nail down a definitive answer.

Thanks,
Ross
You can pan in state parks, just don't drag a dredge up there. That's what the rangers told me when I asked a couple weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom