• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interview with civil war soldier in 1947

Like I said, look at WHEN the north decided to free the slaves.

Congress freed the slaves with the 13th amendment after the war by abolishing slavery. But to act like they were not intent on it before the war is ignorant.
The states each express they are leaving the union because of its intent to end slavery and actions it has already taken against slavery.

So if the North didn't care about freeing slaves, or ending slavery before the war please explain what mississippi is so pissed off about? Why are they ranting about hostilities towards them in regards to slavery? Why do they open by saying
"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery"

It had nothing to do with slavery. History tells all we need to know.

When was the Emancipation Proclamation, before the fighting started?

Hardly, it was a political move by the Lincoln admin done to keep the British from entering the war on the side of the South. BLM back in the day.

Oh lawd. Some people are still butthurt over losing the war that their sorrow still blinds them so many generations later. Rub some bengay on your bumhole and take off the blinders.

The fact that Lincoln had less than honorable intentions when he “freed” the slaves doesn’t change the fact that slavery was the pivotal issue that brought the union to the brink of war. Or “property dispute” as some scholar here so eloquently put it. :lol:

General Lee and the Southern States knew it wasn't about slavery same as that soldier did. While that was the motivating usurping that pushed many to secede, they had the good sense to realize that if the supposedly "limited power of the federal government" could force such a thing on the will of the previously free states, they could literally force anything. Time has proven they were correct. Again, the Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in the southern states. How ironic that his 'authority' only extended to those that defied him. Think about that for just a second.... And here we are today. A federal government with a nearly 5 TRILLION dollar annual budget and ALL 50 states COMBINED with annual budgets of approx $1.5T. Over THREE TIMES the size. We were $2.5B in debt after the civil war. Hadn't been debt free since. (Hadn't been debt free since Jackson, who saw it for what it was, and cleared the books.) While on paper we have a republic, I think we all realize what we really have. An out of control federal state increasingly run by unelected power brokers. We are collectively slave labor. How ironic.

If you’re arguing that Lincoln used slavery to his advantage, or as his justification to impose the federal government’s will on the states, we can agree.

If you’re saying that, in principal, the South’s right to enslave other humans in a constitutional democracy that claims all men are created equal, should withstand federal authority, then you’ve lost me.

Maybe Lincoln was opportunistic about the whole thing. Maybe it was a power grab by the feds. I don’t defend whatever ulterior motives he may have had. But any way you slice it, it was the right thing to do, and taking the position that the enslaving of other Americans was a matter of states’ rights is willfully ignorant in my not so humble opinion. YMMV

If you’re arguing that Lincoln used slavery to his advantage, or as his justification to impose the federal government’s will on the states, we can agree.

If you’re saying that, in principal, the South’s right to enslave other humans in a constitutional democracy that claims all men are created equal, should withstand federal authority, then you’ve lost me.

Maybe Lincoln was opportunistic about the whole thing. Maybe it was a power grab by the feds. I don’t defend whatever ulterior motives he may have had. But any way you slice it, it was the right thing to do, and taking the position that the enslaving of other Americans was a matter of states’ rights is willfully ignorant in my not so humble opinion. YMMV
Of course ending slavery was the right thing to do by any measure. For crying out loud who would ever claim anything different? :confused: The issue at hand is whether or not the North had some benevolence towards fellow humans as their reasoning to invade. They absolutely did NOT. Quite the contrary. No amount of current reprograming of "America has always been evil" is going to change the facts that was, and still is today, a economic grab by the north.
If a hungry mans breaks into my home and kills my family, and dogs, and then raids the refrigerator and sits down for a meal and I walk him and shoot him, current historians would likely record I killed him for stealing my food. :doh:

Of course ending slavery was the right thing to do by any measure. For crying out loud who would ever claim anything different? :confused: The issue at hand is whether or not the North had some benevolence towards fellow humans as their reasoning to invade. They absolutely did NOT. Quite the contrary. No amount of current reprograming of "America has always been evil" is going to change the facts that was, and still is today, a economic grab by the north.
If a hungry mans breaks into my home and kills my family, and dogs, and then raids the refrigerator and sits down for a meal and I walk him and shoot him, current historians would likely record I killed him for stealing my food. :doh:

So I guess the real question is whether or not grievances apart from slavery would've been enough to trigger secession/war. I suppose we'll never know. For that reason, we will continue to argue about it on the internet every time the subject comes up. :thumb:

So the south left the union because they were pissed about the north being hostile towards their institutions slavery. And the North was like, no no you guys don't understand we love slaves too. Then they fought over a big misunderstanding. Ironically slavery was abolished afterwards. Purely coincidentally.

And the northern abolitionist and the political power they had never existed.
History is hard.

So the south left the union because they were pissed about the north being hostile towards their institutions slavery. And the North was like, no no you guys don't understand we love slaves too. Then they fought over a big misunderstanding. Ironically slavery was abolished afterwards. Purely coincidentally.

And the northern abolitionist and the political power they had never existed.
History is hard.

It's not hard, it's just not kind to losers. :lol:

So I guess the real question is whether or not grievances apart from slavery would've been enough to trigger secession/war. I suppose we'll never know. For that reason, we will continue to argue about it on the internet every time the subject comes up. :thumb:
Nah. The OP had a very interesting historical recording that was worth posting. The slight tangent was predictable I guess but not something I typically engage in. I just enjoy how history changes with the wind. As they say, it's written by the victors.

It is AWESOME how so called "Anarchists" support the machine that will grind them to dust soon. Commie want'a be's then and commie want'a be's now. Who really lost? Look at those ****hole states now ; I'm wondering how many here are from those ****hole states , seems obvious to me that some are . Please, continue to enjoy our freedoms and hospitality down here if you like? . Glad I've never owned anyone or had anyone call me a loser to my face (but would be inclined and now am curious how I would react, very curious). PS I prefer the term "slave Trade" myself.

Back
Top Bottom