• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interview with civil war soldier in 1947

I believe the North invaded to keep the south part of the union. I know lincoln made it clear that he wasn't at war to free the slaves but rather to keep the union.

I know that there's many writings where union soldiers express that they were not fighting to free negros.

As far as the emancipation proclamation, I know that it was more of a war strategy, insuring the southern slaves they'll be free if they come north and the northern slaves they'll be free if they fight the south.

Lincoln didn't have the legal authority to free the slaves though, only congress could pass such a law. Which they was bound to do. The south knew well that congress was going to pass legislation to free the slaves, and lincoln who was elected by the abolitionist would certainly sign such legislation into law.

So the south said screw that we're keeping our slaves, and left. The north said no screw you you can't leave.

So yeah, technically the war was fought over the separation. But the separation had everything to do with slavery.

So to say the war had NOTHING to do with slavery is just ignorant.

To say soldiers in the war were not fighting for slavery is probably absolutely true. I'm sure most from the north weren't personally fighting to free slaves. I'm sure most from the south weren't personally fighting to keep them.
But young soldiers are easily manipulated.
Lincoln was a bald faced liar...

Back
Top Bottom