• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want a new hobby

Thanks for the write up. I'm gonna snoop around the Internet and try to learn some more about it. Is it something you can do in a residential backyard or is the smoke too much?

Volunteering is on my list. I just go out of state for summer and I don't want to start then just leave.

Most residential areas should be just fine. There is no more smoke than a grill, and depending on the forge, perhaps much less.

Assuming you have brass and all required hardware to reload. Powder at $36/lbs. with tax. 7000 grains = Pound

Round / Primer$ /Powder grains /Powder$ /Bullet$ / Total per round

9mm/.036/6g/.03/.10/$0.17

45/.036/7g/.035/.16/$0.23

5.56/.036/25g/.125/.09/$0.25

308/.036/40g/.20/.40/$0.63

308 "match" means you want to buy bullets that cost $1+ each, new brass for a few bucks a pop etc.
So give yourself $5 a round to get started.

All other rounds are buying 1K bullets at a time. Like Berry's and 55g Hor. FMJ BT

Sweet. Sounds like good savings. I don't have the hardware to reload, how much should I budget for it?

Sweet. Sounds like good savings. I don't have the hardware to reload, how much should I budget for it?

On the low end, Lee Classic kit plus stuff you need like bullet puller, tumbler, calipers, $300-$350 would be a solid setup. Add $50 dies for each caliber you want to reload

If you want a Dillon press, then $600 and up to the moon.

My pathetic attempt so far to train a little local guy. He is still growing and the trunk is starting to harden in the shape. Have no idea what I'm actually doing. Just dug him up out in the woods put him in the pot and wrapped wire around his trunk in the shape I wanted. I know he looks dead but he isn't, something with the camera lighting.

View attachment 733077
"A mighty forest grows from the smallest sapling."

Back
Top Bottom