• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I want a new hobby

Black smithing sounds cool. Is it expensive? How much space do you need to do it? Seems like a nice crossover if you can make the knifes wood too. Shooting takes all my limited money as is.

Starting out it doesn't cost a bundle at all, and you do not need some big workshop to do it. Make due with what you have for a work space like a garage...

Basic tools to start up would be a good hammer, an anvil, heavy duty vice, forge, tongs, clamps, etc...They do make forges made specifically for blacksmithing but they can vary greatly in size and can get very expensive. My advice is devise your own forge.

Other tools can be picked up later on if you get more serious. Like a welder, grinders, drill press, etc...If you become quite serious then it will becomore more expensive, but if it gets to that point you won't mind so much.

There are books dedicated to blacksmithing and some pretty decent videos out there on youtube. I highly recommend reading some books.

Read up on it a little bit, watch a few videos and start with something small. Learn about forges (not difficult at all, I've seen guys using a grill), and how to tell when the iron is at the right temp to strike. It takes some practice but hey, that's part of the fun. I'm not saying blacksmithing is easy. It isn't, and I have tons to learn myself...It is an art and must be approached that way...Meaning it takes years to truly master. I do enjoy messing around with it, though, and I plan to dive in deeper, eventually.

No problem with exertion. I just came to the conclusion that most of my hobbies are physical related and far down the line there's gonna be a point where I can't do them anymore. So I wanna start something else I can do for a lifetime.
Coach youth sports.

I am a custom metal fabricator by trade (and my business). But I love woodworking. Especially wood carving! I have made a decent amount over the years on commission work too. My favorite is carving walking sticks.....View attachment 732648 View attachment 732649 View attachment 732650 View attachment 732651

Man those are fantastic!

My Dad carved walking sticks for years. I have one I just started working on (my first). It's a stick I got on our old property that has sentimental value to me so I hope it turns out OK, but your work sends me back to the woodshed, pun intended. Those are truly pieces of art, my friend!

Man those are fantastic!

My Dad carved walking sticks for years. I have one I just started working on (my first). It's a stick I got on our old property that has sentimental value to me so I hope it turns out OK, but your work sends me back to the woodshed, pun intended. Those are truly pieces of art, my friend!
Thanks.... I've been carving for over 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom