• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hypothetical situation.

As a father and a new carrier, I bring this question up because its one that's bothered me. I began to think of all the different methods possible to defend myself, the outcomes of giving all my possessions, and nothing honestly was a good idea. The best cased scenario is you have enough items of value and a nice enough attacker to let you and the baby walk away, worst case is you become another Brunswick murder. As recent events have proved, the world has become a sick place. As a father, I know how distracting a young child can be, and a distracted father is a prime target. The problem with fighting back is there's already a gun in your face. Can you draw and shoot fast enough before an attacker armed even with a knife can get you? Who is to say as soon as your gun is exposed while reaching for a wallet you're not shot? Its really a trick question because regardless of whether or not you have a child, you should always be aware of your surroundings enough to notice and address a potential threat before you get caught in the reaction curve, it means scanning your surroundings, knowing what's in front, behind, and beside you at all times. Scan your surroundings as you're putting your child in their car seat. Carrying a gun is no good if you can't use it, you have to give yourself time to draw and shoot. You may still have to put your body between an attacker and the baby, but the difference is there isn't already a gun to your head or a knife to your throat. We've all heard of baby brain, but many think it only happens to pregnant women. Try to order a meal with a screaming baby and a daughter that suddenly has to use the bathroom, which is why mothers are prime targets, they're distracted. Always be aware of your surroundings.

One of the bonus drills we did today was an "encumbered drill" where the shooter was carrying a laptop computer under their arm, talking on the cellphone, & holding a full drink cup in the other then turning aroung to face multiple threat/ no threat targets to engage.

Several of the shooters threw the contents of the cup at the targets as a diversion.
hot coffee is the least of their worries, I gotta free up 2 hands, that means the laptop and cellphone are going down range too. One for the gun, one to useto push other dude off me.

I'd throw the baby straight up in the air. This would make the bad guy look up, in wonder, to watch the flying baby. While he was distracted, I would draw and shoot him three times. Twice to the heart, and one to the head. I would then holster my gun, catch the baby, and walk away as if nothing had happened.

I'm gonna go with this one. Or throw a crappy diaper at him, doubles as a grenade I would think.

I'm gonna go with this one. Or throw a crappy diaper at him, doubles as a grenade I would think.

I still run from ****ty diapers when I can. I change them, but gag the whole time. I even changed his **** diapers the entire time he was in the hospital after birth (those are just messy, not stinky), but how God could make something so precious smell so bad is beyond me.

One of the bonus drills we did today was an "encumbered drill" where the shooter was carrying a laptop computer under their arm, talking on the cellphone, & holding a full drink cup in the other then turning aroung to face multiple threat/ no threat targets to engage.

Several of the shooters threw the contents of the cup at the targets as a diversion.

I would throw the cup, esp if its coffee or am holding with my strong side.

Would it not be correct to do so?

As a father and a new carrier, I bring this question up because its one that's bothered me. I began to think of all the different methods possible to defend myself, the outcomes of giving all my possessions, and nothing honestly was a good idea. The best cased scenario is you have enough items of value and a nice enough attacker to let you and the baby walk away, worst case is you become another Brunswick murder. As recent events have proved, the world has become a sick place. As a father, I know how distracting a young child can be, and a distracted father is a prime target. The problem with fighting back is there's already a gun in your face. Can you draw and shoot fast enough before an attacker armed even with a knife can get you? Who is to say as soon as your gun is exposed while reaching for a wallet you're not shot? Its really a trick question because regardless of whether or not you have a child, you should always be aware of your surroundings enough to notice and address a potential threat before you get caught in the reaction curve, it means scanning your surroundings, knowing what's in front, behind, and beside you at all times. Scan your surroundings as you're putting your child in their car seat. Carrying a gun is no good if you can't use it, you have to give yourself time to draw and shoot. You may still have to put your body between an attacker and the baby, but the difference is there isn't already a gun to your head or a knife to your throat. We've all heard of baby brain, but many think it only happens to pregnant women. Try to order a meal with a screaming baby and a daughter that suddenly has to use the bathroom, which is why mothers are prime targets, they're distracted. Always be aware of your surroundings.

All very true. It can be depressing if you think about it too much. Sometimes there really is no right answer. Sometimes, you can do everything right and die anyway. I'll tell you this though, ESPECIALLY if I have my kid(s) with me, you better be ready for a fight because I'm not going to stop and give in until the moment I actually black out.

I've thought about this for a few minutes now. Unfortunately I can't get past the "why in hell would I possibly be carrying an infant?" question.
You don't have kids? Been a couple times the wife has had the day off and I do father son pizza days or something, or just father son days. I do the same with my daughter, but she knows to get outta Dodge.

Back
Top Bottom