• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

humidor help... update #2

VanillaGuerrilla

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
So I bought the base model desk top humidor from Old Havana in Rome a while back and for the life of me I can't get the humidity up to an acceptable level. It has the wetable disk that I put akar solution on and a akar digital meter. It came with another meter that was reading low so I replaced it with the digital, and it's still reading low, like mid to high 50s. Any suggestions?

Edit #1
I've got all my stogies in a plastic container with the sponge to them back to proper levels. That thing is working well cause when i open it reaks like pure enjoyment. I'm seasoning the humidor with distilled water once a day. Probably gonna do it for a week or so or until the wood doesn't soak up the water so quickly. And it I've read that that model of hydrometer has a mother board issue. Fortunately Xikar has a lifetime warranty on their products. Gonna drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Edit #2
After about a week I got an email from xikar saying they had recieved my hydrometer in the mail and would be replacing it and mailing my new one asap. Hopefully this one works.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_04_01_a493ef5898ec4e5337556329b2c28d10.jpg

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_04_05_8a069042d8554572398f449669df22f0.jpg

Last edited:
I quit using mine in favor of a big piece of Tupperware. I know it's not as cool looking on a desk but worked way better.

It helps if you soak your media sponge in a plastic bag for a while. I use distilled water.

I also have a cedar block in mine to hold the sponge. Mine stays right around 70%.

I quit using mine in favor of a big piece of Tupperware. I know it's not as cool looking on a desk but worked way better.

It helps if you soak your media sponge in a plastic bag for a while. I use distilled water.

I also have a cedar block in mine to hold the sponge. Mine stays right around 70%.

Shoot man I'll do whatever works. I just hope the ones I got arnt ruined.

Take all the cigars out and go ahead and wipe the inside down with distilled water and let it set a few days closed. Don't use a lot, just a damp rag to moisten the entire inside.

Kind of a small disk for that big a humidor. I use this one in a humidor that looks about the same size.

http://www.amazon.com/Xikar-Cigar-H...27938522&sr=8-18&keywords=humidor+accessories

Also, did you condition the wood before you started using it?

I've always rubbed the a new humidor down with solution every night for a week or so before loading mine. I'll usually try and keep the humidifier in there full as well. The inside wood on an untreated humidor will soak up the moisture like crazy until it finally stabilizes.

Last but not least, hows the seal around the edges? If any of the sides are warped, that can allow air to flow escape and you will never be able to maintain humidity.

Good luck, and while you're figuring it out... take DD's suggestion about the the Tupperware.

did you slowly wet the wood inside it yet with either water or preferably a fancy solution. first you moisten the wood some (not too much) aka seasoning and then add the humidifiers

Last edited:
As a couple previously said, wipe the entire inside down with distilled water. You may have to do it a couple times and again periodically. That sponge disc in yours really doesn't look big enough to me. I used to put a small dish with a sponge in it in the bottom of mine sometimes when humidity would get low. Also found that the hygrometer in mine wasn't accurate. I had a really nice, small stainless steel single cigar case with small hygrometer on the end. I would leave that in there all the time because it was more accurate. It would be 75% inside and the hygrometer in the front of my humidor would read 50%.

Back
Top Bottom