• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How would you fill this hole?

Take yer minds outta the gutta!

I have a porch pillar that has a rotten hole. The rest of the wood looks good. I don't want to replace. Just patch and paint, as the house will be going on the market in the next couple of years or so.

So I was thinking of these options:

1- Fill hole with foam weather spray, sand down, then fill in with auto filler, then paint.

2- Patch hole with a fiberglass repair kit from the auto body shop, then fill with auto filler, then paint.

Any other better ideas?

View attachment 2932848
@letitbeme

You're going to need to harden that wood around the hole...Remove all loose wood, soak it in wood hardener really good...THEN proceed with what a few of the others have suggested

Yeah, good idea Geezer. Remove all old soft wood, coat raw wood with penetrating epoxy. Fill with thickened fiberglass/glass fibers. Sand and paint. That will last long after you leave.

I honestly had the same issue on a house I flipped....... did the spray foam and bondo method........ it was a ton of work to make it not look like ****! Good luck

thumbnail_resized_20201123_132100-jpg.2932848
thumbnail_Resized_20210123_175021.jpg

Before and after. The Durham's stuff was crap, for me, and was a waste of time.

I fixed it with a 3 step process:

1- Built up a wall with Spray Foam Sealant (yellow stuff).
2- While the Spray Foam Sealant was almost dry, I put on an aluminum mesh square to fit the size of the hole, then made it almost flush with the column contour.
3- Applied O'Reilly Auto store bought auto bondo! This was the greatest stuff to use. I also used the bondo on other bad areas of the column.

Once sanded, I applied primer/paint and here it is.

thumbnail_resized_20201123_132100-jpg.2932848
View attachment 3053667

Before and after. The Durham's stuff was crap, for me, and was a waste of time.

I fixed it with a 3 step process:

1- Built up a wall with Spray Foam Sealant (yellow stuff).
2- While the Spray Foam Sealant was almost dry, I put on an aluminum mesh square to fit the size of the hole, then made it almost flush with the column contour.
3- Applied O'Reilly Auto store bought auto bondo! This was the greatest stuff to use. I also used the bondo on other bad areas of the column.

Once sanded, I applied primer/paint and here it is.
That's what I would have and have done. I'd probably use wood hardener after removing the rot but other than that looks good to me.

Back
Top Bottom