• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How would you fill this hole?

Capture+_2020-11-23-15-35-35-1.png
Staple this over it, nobody's gonna come near

Well here is how it is progressing- no pics yet, but hopefully I will show the finished product soon (if it turns out good- if not, I will slink away into the night and accept defeat- I am a problem solver, not an artist, as I tell my wife)!

I used spray insulation foam to build up the "wall" to cover the hole. Once it was tacky, I put in a square of aluminum mesh. Today I plan on sanding and tapping in areas to make it seat below the wood and conform to the shape. Then I will fill with outdoor/indoor wood putty.

Put a cardboard dam on the inside. Put a few holes through the dam first. Put strings through the holes. Tie the strings off to a cinder block or something else heavy on the outside to pull the dam up tight.
Fill it with a mix of sawdust and wood glue, leave room for a finish layer. After the first layer dries cut the strings off flush. Then put a Finish layer of sawdust and wood glue on top. Take your time.

Put a cardboard dam on the inside. Put a few holes through the dam first. Put strings through the holes. Tie the strings off on the outside to pull the dam up tight.
Fill it with a mix of sawdust and wood glue, leave room for a finish layer. After the first layer dries cut the strings off flush. Then put a Finish layer of sawdust and wood glue on top. Take your time.

Damn, that sounds like the time my parents had bodywork (aka hiding massive rust) done on our 1972 Chevelle on the streets in Queens. All it cost was $20 and a six pack of Piels!

Take yer minds outta the gutta!

I have a porch pillar that has a rotten hole. The rest of the wood looks good. I don't want to replace. Just patch and paint, as the house will be going on the market in the next couple of years or so.

So I was thinking of these options:

1- Fill hole with foam weather spray, sand down, then fill in with auto filler, then paint.

2- Patch hole with a fiberglass repair kit from the auto body shop, then fill with auto filler, then paint.

Any other better ideas?

View attachment 2932848[/QU@

Back
Top Bottom