• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How NOT to shoot a deer

OP, you said your neighbor crowed about a kill around the same time you think this one was shot? Perhaps this one was standing behind the other one? At a close enough distance, a .223 could have exited the one that went down and hit this one. Rule 4 - Always know what's behind your intended target. In any case, the outcome is a cruel and senseless act.

Watched a doe several years back one afternoon that had been shot earlier that day by a neighbor, hole right through the meat part of her neck. Sad.

I clipped a limb once with an arrow, arrow ended up hitting the buck in the ham, evidently in a major artery. Joker walked 20 yards and fell over.

This happen to me one time. Took me 6 hours to track it down.

Unfortunately it happened to me. The only deer I ever lost. Shot it with a 300 wm in low light conditions (in the woods) . Believe it was a very nice buck, must have made a gut shot, he was moving and almost out of my shooting zone. Still haunts me.

Jeesus.
I wonder how
many guys here took a bad shot on a deer.
You hunt long enough you’re gonna make a boo boo...it happens....pisses me off too when it happens but it happens.....we’re not perfect .
Yeah he probably shot it on the run and didn’t lead the deer.

Nothing wrong with shooting smaller calibers but you have absolutely got to be picky with shot placement. I have hunted deer with a 22-250 for 18ish years now. I only shoot them in the neck or head and I have only lost one deer doing so. Sure, I have to pass on a fair number of deer because I can't get a clean shot but when I do pull the trigger, I do not mess up any meat, I do not have to track a deer, and the animal doesn't have to suffer. In the end, it's worth it to me.

Back
Top Bottom