shotgun 01

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
20201107_082501.jpg
20201107_082448.jpg
20201107_082443.jpg
I've been watching this little guy all season, and was hoping he would make it to next year, but my neighbor apparently had other plans. I saw this deer a week ago Sunday, and the following Saturday he was all shot up. My neighbor hunts during the week, and was there with his grown daughter. They both hunt with .223 AR15s, and mostly hunt food plots. While I am not a fan of this gun and caliber for deer hunting, that is not the problem. If you are going to shoot light calibers, then bullet placement is even more critical. Both of my sons hunted with a .223 bolt action until they could handle more recoil. I am still trying to figure out how in the world you shoot a deer in the azz. The poor thing was dragging his back leg, so my son had to "put him down".

The femur was broken in half and the wound was infected. I was able to recover the bullet, and of course, it was a .223. I plan to ask him if he knows anything about it, but he will probably deny it. His daughter also killed a small seven pointer the same evening that this deer was probably shot. He was quick to send a picture and tell me about that one. No law against being a bad shot.

This strikes a nerve with me. You should always aim to make a clean and ethical kill, I know 'it happens but what are you going after with a hind leg shot using a .223? I don't know if they are just that poor of a shot, or making an attempt to inflict pain. I'm glad your son was able to put it out of its misery.

This strikes a nerve with me. You should always aim to make a clean and ethical kill, I know 'it happens but what are you going after with a hind leg shot using a .223? I don't know if they are just that poor of a shot, or making an attempt to inflict pain. I'm glad your son was able to put it out of its misery.

May have shot it on the run, but still.

Back
Top Bottom