• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How NOT to shoot a deer

Nothing wrong with shooting smaller calibers but you have absolutely got to be picky with shot placement. I have hunted deer with a 22-250 for 18ish years now. I only shoot them in the neck or head and I have only lost one deer doing so. Sure, I have to pass on a fair number of deer because I can't get a clean shot but when I do pull the trigger, I do not mess up any meat, I do not have to track a deer, and the animal doesn't have to suffer. In the end, it's worth it to me.

What about the one you mentioned you loss, probably shot off its bottom jaw....he/she suffer????

Shot placement is critical!!!

Attachments

• FB6F7F67-6494-4590-9106-0D1ED8A8588C.jpeg
    FB6F7F67-6494-4590-9106-0D1ED8A8588C.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 27
That pissed me off! No reason to make the thing suffer. No reason to destroy the meat. That deserves a good punch in the face if it’s an experienced hunter!!

Everybody is bound to make a bad shot on a game animal eventually. It does happen. We can’t blame the caliber, it’s the fault of the person wielding the weapon entirely. My daughter and I made close to a dozen, one-shot kills with a .223. Only 2 deer ran and they didn’t go far at all. Shot placement is paramount.....with any caliber and all of us should do our part and ensure that our weapons are dialed in and ready to roll. The person who shot that buck could have been trying a running shot or like mentioned before, it was an incidental strike. It could have been a new hunter about to fall apart at the seams from shaking at the mere sight of the deer. Whatever the cause, it is disturbing to see this happen and imagine an animal suffering. I’ve made a bad shot and lost a deer before. It happens. I learned from it and found ways to improve.
Glad that you did the responsible thing and end it’s suffering. I know I darn sure would have.

Back
Top Bottom