How many Stupid counterpeople does it take to sell an auto part?

I walked into a parts store and threw a single circuit brake master cylinder on the counter.

Guy looks at it and says "whats it off". Answer: old as dirt forklift, about 5 ton, Case, I think.

The lift owner wanted it fixed, but confidence in finding the part was not high.

Counter guy played with his computer for a while, then said "This look like it?"

Picture looked good, so I ordered it. Dang if that MC from a 56 F600 wasn't a perfect fit!

Part was from a simpler time, and the parts guy was willing to actually try to find something for me.

On the flip side...having worked in a parts store years ago, you can have some real dumb bunnies come in and ask for the most stupid things. That was back when we used catalogs.

My wife got some new wiper blades a few days ago just before the rain. Guy at the counter said he could put em in since it was starting to drizzle. About 15 minutes later in a good downpour, this idiot is still reading the instructions on how to put them on with my wife just waiting in the car. Meanwhile, his supervisor is just watching him through the front window as he is getting drenched in rain. Finally, the supervisor comes out, scolds this guy, and then put them on correctly in 20 secs. :doh:

Props to my local O'Riellys-they seem to hit center 95% of the time!

But my Auto Zone boys still ask you what vehicle that Holly carb came on so they can tell you if they have a rebuild kit LMFAO!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

On the flip side...having worked in a parts store years ago, you can have some real dumba$$es come in and ask for the most stupid things. That was back when we used catalogs.
yeah you know she's a whatchamacallit, sits right next to the starter don't it?

My brother worked at NAPA for years. Always went out of his way to find stuff in catalogs.

Having worked in parts for 20+ years. I think the downfall of the parts world was trying to be open 7 days a week and 12-20 hours a day. Its hard to fill multiple shifts with quality parts people. A man who takes pride in his job and is willing to dig for those hard to find parts probably would rather find a job where he can have a family life as well. I think when you require those kind of ours you get those kind of people.

Having worked in parts for 20+ years. I think the downfall of the parts world was trying to be open 7 days a week and 12-20 hours a day. Its hard to fill multiple shifts with quality parts people. A man who takes pride in his job and is willing to dig for those hard to find parts probably would rather find a job where he can have a family life as well. I think when you require those kind of ours you get those kind of people.

I agree. The parts store l use had cut backs from corporate down. They ended up getting rid of one of the most qualified employee because of his pay. They're trying to fill more hours with less people to save money. The manager can't change a battery. Literally, l watched him try.

I will say there are quite a few knowledgeable people there

I won't take the time to tell the whole story. Went by the parts store, asked for a transmission filter kit for my F-150, the most popular vehicle in the history of the world.

Got it, home, this particular transmission has like 64 bolts holding the pan, undid them all by hand, pull out the old filter, and it's not the same as the one I bought.

Change clothes cause I'm soaked in tranny fluid and Georgia clay, go back to the store, with old part in hand and new part, and make the obvious case that THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. ALL DA can say is "that's what the computer says." I ask him can he maybe look around and see if he can find one that looks like mine FOR MOST COMMON VEHICLE in the history of the world. Nope. He can only rely on what the computer says.

Thank God for NAPA.

Back
Top Bottom