• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long do you sit in the stand?

I have the deer pretty well down pat. When I was first starting out, I've been known to pull a sunup to sundown. These days I don't even bother unless the weather is just right. I try to get there before daylight and I'll stay as late as noon. That way I have the rest of the day if needed to track down a deer. I don't like doing that after dark. I'll take some water, a PB&J sandwich and a small survival kit in my web gear.

I normally get in the woods about 1/2-1 full hour before first light and sit until 12:00 or 1:00, usually don’t leave any earlier.
We have a lot of late morning through mid day activity at my place, so I try to stick it out as often as possible.

Usually about 4 hours in am 1.5 in the evenings,I’m at the point if I don’t see him today I may tomorrow.
Same here pretty much but Ive been doing a lot more walk/stalk hunts lately trying to hone my stealth skills especially if I’m hunting late morning or afternoon.
Evenings I like to set up close to popular game trails near small creeks.

I prefer to sit about 15 minutes and have one on the ground, doesnt always work out though. Did last year on Nov 21st. 18 minutes and here he came.

I almost never sit past 10am in the mornings and dont usually walk in til first light. Spooked way more deer walking in while its still dark and can't make out what they are and couldnt shoot even if I could. So now I wait until I can see before I leave my truck.

Evening hunts I try to be in my stand by 4pm and get down as soon as I can't see exactly where my crosshairs are.

I've sat until 12 or 1pm many times and been back out as early as 2pm and never saw a single deer between 10am and 3pm.

If its November, and below 50 all day. No need for a pee bottle. Have had deer directly outside a ground blind or under my stand within minutes of splashdown. When I can smell a doe I know he can so I'll sit an hour before light till dark.

Back
Top Bottom