• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Horror stories?..what has happened to you reloading?

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this by now. This puts makes every single story on her seem like kids play. I've watched Scott since his second video posted, and have always Loved his manly approach to guns/caliber selections.. He's beyond lucky and this goes to show that old powder can deteriorate to unsafe levels.. or that you should never trust ammo that's loaded by someone unknown, or stuff that doesn't come in a sealed manufacturer's box. I'm not sure of the exact powder charge of one of the SLAP rounds, but I've seen some .50BMG loads up to 270gr! That's 6/10ths of an ounce! Be safe y'all!
View attachment 3244331
Is it just me...or does anyone else think the particular gun with the barrel cap has more to do with this than the round?..in my personal experience the threads wouldn't be my first choice...pics of that barrel cap and threads are what failed...either way he is crazy lucky...I hope that near death caught on video nets him some coin for that sacrifice

My 550 kicked a spent primer into my new shell bin..which it somehow slipped by the decapper/resizer....and made it to the field...it blew a bunch of burning powder back at my face...but I didn't pay much attention till I picked up my casings
20210513_175157.jpg

Is it just me...or does anyone else think the particular gun with the barrel cap has more to do with this than the round?..in my personal experience the threads wouldn't be my first choice...pics of that barrel cap and threads are what failed...either way he is crazy lucky...I hope that near death caught on video nets him some coin for that sacrifice

He's lucky to be alive. I've messed with a lot of surplus ammo over the years and occasionally run into some weird things. I got a bunch of Vietnam era .38 special one time that was really inconsistent and started pulling bullets and weighing the charges and no two were the same in that whole box. I had a thousand rounds of this stuff and ended up pulling it all and just using the primed brass.

Not a reload story, but almost. Brother bought an actual civil war revolver for a teal good or. Was offered double his money for it. Wanted to shoot it first. Later dad asked him if he was going to sell it and brother said he could not find all of it. He did not grease the cylinders, it cross fired and all he could find was half of the cylinder and the grip that was in his hand. He always was a lucky azz hole!!

Not a reload story, but almost. Brother bought an actual civil war revolver for a teal good or. Was offered double his money for it. Wanted to shoot it first. Later dad asked him if he was going to sell it and brother said he could not find all of it. He did not grease the cylinders, it cross fired and all he could find was half of the cylinder and the grip that was in his hand. He always was a lucky azz hole!!

I've run across more than one antique muzzle loader that was loaded who knows when and been sitting in someone's closet for decades.

Always check primer seating cup on a MEC 9000 shotgun reloader after you spill any shot. Missed a piece of shot in my MEC one time, proceeded to seat the next primer and it went off! Luckily, the powder bar hadn't dropped powder yet and no powder was ignited, but scared the bejesus out of me!

This was ALWAYS my biggest fear in reloading....the single wayward #9 in the primer cup.

Once shooting skeet I was inside the "clubhouse", shooters on the field, all of a sudden a giant BOOM, everybody outside, very shaken female shooter had touched off a "double" loaded shell, her Rem 1100 was still intact, but she wasn't. She quit, right there.

Back
Top Bottom