• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Horror stories?..what has happened to you reloading?

Loaded a BUNCH of 9MM squibs in my FNS9... found them all in one box of 50 while at the range (first time it ever happened to me). I keep a steel punch in with a brass .22 shell on the end to keep from scratching the barrel in my repair kit, just in case. Each time I got a squib, I dutifully field stripped the gun, knocked the slug out and reassembled, after the 6th or 7th time, I started just pounding the slug out while the barrel was still in the gun (and, yes, I dropped the mag and made sure it was otherwise cleared). What I didn't realize was I damaged the trigger or sears or some other internal part and had to send the gun back to the manufacturer for repairs... Got the gun back and it now runs better than before I loaded that crap ammo.
Now, I have a light shining directly into the case while I'm loading and CHECK each shell has powder before manually placing the slug in the shell.

I had someone give me a bunch of blue dot powder once and loaded some 9mm with it that was scary hot. I wasn't anywhere near max load and pulled them and tried again with an even lighter load and was still getting case heads you could see were deformed back into the firing pin hole. I gave up on blue dot and 9mm after that.

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this by now. This puts makes every single story on her seem like kids play. I've watched Scott since his second video posted, and have always Loved his manly approach to guns/caliber selections.. He's beyond lucky and this goes to show that old powder can deteriorate to unsafe levels.. or that you should never trust ammo that's loaded by someone unknown, or stuff that doesn't come in a sealed manufacturer's box. I'm not sure of the exact powder charge of one of the SLAP rounds, but I've seen some .50BMG loads up to 270gr! That's 6/10ths of an ounce! Be safe y'all!
SLAP.jpg

About 30 years ago I started by loading 9mm on a single stage Rock Chucker. Was frustrated my first rounds wouldn't chamber in my GeeLock 19. I didn't have the seating/crimp die turned down quite far enough when seating my boolits. Live and learn.

I loaded a few 9mm (had some .380 ACP cases in my brass) that "pooped" out of the barrel of my CZ Czechmate. Sure enough, some .380 cases sneaked through the 1050. I visually inspect every single case now, and have done so for all 30,000 pieces of 9mm brass I have sorted and cleaned.

Also, before thoroughly testing some loads I developed to "work the compensator" on the Czechmate, I loaded up about 3,000 rounds on the 1050 (once you get going....you can REALLY get going). The load was too light to reliably function the pistol with the comp installed. So, as punishment for myself and to teach myself a lesson, I pulled every single round with an impact puller. Every. Single. Round. I will NEVER load that many rounds of anything again without testing at least a 100 rounds for function.

About 30 years ago I started by loading 9mm on a single stage Rock Chucker. Was frustrated my first rounds wouldn't chamber in my GeeLock 19. I didn't have the seating/crimp die turned down quite far enough when seating my boolits. Live and learn.

I loaded a few 9mm (had some .380 ACP cases in my brass) that "pooped" out of the barrel of my CZ Czechmate. Sure enough, some .380 cases sneaked through the 1050. I visually inspect every single case now, and have done so for all 30,000 pieces of 9mm brass I have sorted and cleaned.

Also, before thoroughly testing some loads I developed to "work the compensator" on the Czechmate, I loaded up about 3,000 rounds on the 1050 (once you get going....you can REALLY get going). The load was too light to reliably function the pistol with the comp installed. So, as punishment for myself and to teach myself a lesson, I pulled every single round with an impact puller. Every. Single. Round. I will NEVER load that many rounds of anything again without testing at least a 100 rounds for function.

Sweet Jesus! I've pulled my unfair share of rounds, but 3k! Do you use a RCBS Impact with the shell holder?

When I stated cast load development for the 300 HAM'R I had to pull 60rds w/gas checks.. The really annoying thing is the boolet comes out, then you need to take a pick and stab a hole in the gas check and rip it out to get the powder out.. All because I did a double coat on them and it had them jammed in the throat and I didn't want to shorten em` up and run the risk of higher pressures.

Sweet Jesus! I've pulled my unfair share of rounds, but 3k! Do you use a RCBS Impact with the shell holder?

When I stated cast load development for the 300 HAM'R I had to pull 60rds w/gas checks.. The really annoying thing is the boolet comes out, then you need to take a pick and stab a hole in the gas check and rip it out to get the powder out.. All because I did a double coat on them and it had them jammed in the throat and I didn't want to shorten em` up and run the risk of higher pressures.
LOL! Yup.
upload_2021-5-2_6-38-1.png

Always check primer seating cup on a MEC 9000 shotgun reloader after you spill any shot. Missed a piece of shot in my MEC one time, proceeded to seat the next primer and it went off! Luckily, the powder bar hadn't dropped powder yet and no powder was ignited, but scared the bejesus out of me!

Back
Top Bottom