• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hodges is closing after 70 years

This was the original store on Cobb Pkwy Marietta, just north of Dobbins AFB. Started going there in the early 90's when I first got to GA...they closed this location maybe 3 years ago? The past 3 years they have been in a strip mall on Roswell road behind the Big Chicken. Just not the same...

View attachment 6785834
The one in Cartersville was there in the 60’s and 70’s. I’m old lol. I loved that place too. My Dad and Uncle worked for the Hodge’s in the mines.

The one in Cartersville was there in the 60’s and 70’s. I’m old lol. I loved that place too. My Dad and Uncle worked for the Hodge’s in the mines.
Interesting read on their history I just found. Yes, there were several other locations, including Cartersville. I did not know that. The one by Dobbins was always a favorite place to visit. My favorite K bar came from there and I still have it...
1706209130095.png

Army/Navy surplus stores used to be a kids playground. Usually an old dusty building with a crotchety proprietor who doesn't have time for you young folks and your shenanigans.
A real treat was going in and buying stuff for your next camping trip or Scout expedition. Wondering the aisles and fondling belts, canteens and parachute bags and trying to decide if you could get away with buying an old bayonet or ax without your mom freaking out.
I can still remember the smell.
The good old fashioned surplus stores are rapidly becoming a thing of the past and we're worse off for the loss.:(
yup, Bought a lot of my camping stuff there way back when i was a scout and all my hunting clothes were the woodland camo BDU's i got there when i first got into hunting many many years ago.

Interesting read on their history I just found. Yes, there were several other locations, including Cartersville. I did not know that. The one by Dobbins was always a favorite place to visit. My favorite K bar came from there and I still have it...
View attachment 6786010
I remember my Dad talking about old man John Hodge. My Dad was born in 1911. We would go over to the ore mine and play in that red iron ore dirt. Fun times. I did like the one by Dobbins too.
The one in Cartersville was down on the square across from the train depot.

My dad took me to the one on 41 when I was a kid, in the 70s and 80s. After seeing Commando, I was sure that place had a secret door of "the good stuff"! I took my son there in the 2000s and 10s and he had the same gleam in his eye that I did when I was a kid.

Thanks for the memories and the buys Hodge family. I'm sure my son amd I both still have goodies from that place.

Back
Top Bottom