• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hodges is closing after 70 years

Bought a lot of clothes and boots there during the 80s...

hat-on-heart-hat.gif

Army/Navy surplus stores used to be a kids playground. Usually an old dusty building with a crotchety proprietor who doesn't have time for you young folks and your shenanigans.
A real treat was going in and buying stuff for your next camping trip or Scout expedition. Wondering the aisles and fondling belts, canteens and parachute bags and trying to decide if you could get away with buying an old bayonet or ax without your mom freaking out.
I can still remember the smell.
The good old fashioned surplus stores are rapidly becoming a thing of the past and we're worse off for the loss.:(

Army/Navy surplus stores used to be a kids playground. Usually an old dusty building with a crotchety proprietor who doesn't have time for you young folks and your shenanigans.
A real treat was going in and buying stuff for your next camping trip or Scout expedition. Wondering the aisles and fondling belts, canteens and parachute bags and trying to decide if you could get away with buying an old bayonet or ax without your mom freaking out.
I can still remember the smell.
The good old fashioned surplus stores are rapidly becoming a thing of the past and we're worse off for the loss.:(
Yep, when granny would take me to “town” and turn me loose on Saturdays, it was always Army/Navy, pawn shops, and hardware stores that sold guns and ammo.
Unless there was a double feature cowboy movie at the Roxy.

Been there dozens of times over the years, mostly at the original location...sad.
The one in Cartersville was the original one I believe. The Hodges lived in Cartersville. If any of you guys remember the Hodges mined Iron Ore and the Hodges Ore Mine on Euharlee Rd, but back in my day that was Chulio RD.

Been going there my entire life, mostly the old location, and bought all kinds of stuff from them.

I had an uncle who owned a small Army/Navy store, and he dealt with Hodge often. In Feb of ‘95 he was at Hodge and went to lunch with one of their guys and was killed in a wreck on 41. He was only 31.

Sorry to add the sad story. I can’t think of Hodge without thinking of my uncle.

Forest Park Army/Navy is still around. It’s a really good store, though definitely in the hood.

The one in Cartersville was the original one I believe. The Hodges lived in Cartersville. If any of you guys remember the Hodges mined Iron Ore and the Hodges Ore Mine on Euharlee Rd, but back in my day that was Chulio RD.

This was the original store on Cobb Pkwy Marietta, just north of Dobbins AFB. Started going there in the early 90's when I first got to GA...they closed this location maybe 3 years ago? The past 3 years they have been in a strip mall on Roswell road behind the Big Chicken. Just not the same...

1706207273550.png

Back
Top Bottom