• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hikers Companion Pistol?

I recently did about 30 miles over three days, with about a mile & a half of elevation gain, carrying an LCP 22. I went with the LCP due to weight & attire concerns, but by the second day I realized I would have been fine with my edc Shield 9.

24E62F32-C3F4-4143-A755-AD04B2FEBAC9.jpeg

24E62F32-C3F4-4143-A755-AD04B2FEBAC9.jpeg

I just hiked 7.5 miles of an abandoned RR line with only a .380 pistol in a pocket holster.

What's a light weight, but not tiny sized, centerfire pistol suitable to carry for defense against wild animals, feral or rabid dogs, wolves or mountain lions?
Gun MUST be light... when hiking 10 miles up and down hills, every ounce counts.
Gun need not be small... it should have a decently long barrel and sight radius.

No snubby revolvers.

No pistols weighing 30 oz. or more.
16 oz would be nice.

What's on the market that fits these criteria?
My girlfriends lcr 357
Told her if a big cat chases her to use the CT green dot. Have put a few cats in psychotherapy from chasing it.

Attachments

• IMG_3169.jpeg
    IMG_3169.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3
22WMR has come a long way since this thread started with 45 grain Hornady Critical Defense and Federal Punch being two reliable and nasty rounds for personal or home defense. My choice would be the S&W .22 Mag with the Tempo barrel gas system for reduced recoil and flat shooting. Two 30 round mags. is a lot of firepower.

Edit. Another good choice with high cap. mags would be the S&W 5.7. This would pack a bigger punch than a .22WMR but the ammo. is expensive.

Ever shot it with 357? Trust me it will become your least favorite gun after about three rounds.

The polymer frame and the Hogue grips on the LCR make it just about the only lightweight 357 you can actually shoot enough to practice with.

Ever shot it with 357? Trust me it will become your least favorite gun after about three rounds.

The polymer frame and the Hogue grips on the LCR make it just about the only lightweight 357 you can actually shoot enough to practice with.
The 357 lcr upper is 1/2 steel compared to the other calibers that are aluminum. We’ve been to the farm 4x last yr. Each time at 9’ she put 5 rds.of 110 gr. hp 357 in the siloette with temp pain but she said np if she has to use it. Trigger is butter vs.the 642. Not a range toy but if she misses the fireball will scare even Bigfoot.

KISS, a G26 with good ammo. What's good ammo? Alternate loading the magazine with good expanding cartridge and a hard cast cartridge. You can even have a CCI snake shot in the chamber and expect reliable function if you don't change the recoil spring.

Keltec pmr is a great gun
Light
Accurate
Reliable
The only issue I ever had was with fully loaded mags , fixed that by molli lube in the spring of mag
I carried one of these for many years I would carry a year buy new gun keep my lubed mags
Never had a issue only shot cci mini mag ammo as well
I've got one that's had 5000+ rds with no issues
Don't believe the folks that never touched one before
Pmr with spray of lube in each mag will be very reliable no worries
I keep a pmr and a cmr 5000+ rds of ammo and 20 mags in pelican case in my SUV whole load out is under 16lbs
And all under $1000 complete add med emergency bag, good knife your set

Back
Top Bottom