• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hikers Companion Pistol?

Hikers companion??????? Man I know guys that cut their toothbrush in half to conserve weight. I assume we are talking about day hikers not through hikers. If you ever want to pick up a ton of free outdoors equipment just hike the first few days of the AT from springer Mt. It looks like a sporting goods store from what everyone ditches.
I’ve enjoyed this thread for the same reason. Most Folks are down to sharpened hiking poles and a spork after a few days. I carry a P238 which’ll have to do.

How about a Ruger 22/45 very lightly with the Taxol barrel and very capable if your teacher shot placement and load it with quality ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S & W Model 360, Airweight .357 Magnum/ .38 S&W Special +P...It only weights 14.9 oz, Barrel Length: 1.875". It's small enough to tuck away in a backpack or a waistband but it has enough pop to protect you from ANYTHING you may run across on any trail, dirt or concrete. This would be all you would need. You have gotten some very good advice from everyone and I don't think you will go wrong anyway you go...Just shoot several and find out what YOU are comfortable with and that will be the very best one for you. Good luck.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC02755-sized.jpg
    DSC02755-sized.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 10
While hunting I normally carry a Glock30SF. It’d be my first choice if I was worried about running into any “deliverance” types out in the hills for stopping power and capacity. My two close seconds to stow in a backpack that would hardly add any weight would be my Taurus judge Public defender poly model for the ammo versatility and it being the lightest of its kind and my trusty Ruger LCPII in 22lr. I’m 1,000 rounds in with it and it’s very reliable and surprisingly accurate. I could definitely take small game with it and it has weight of around 12oz. I’m sure there are better options but I’m speaking from what I have personally and not my “dream” guns.

For hiking or wondering the woods I carry a Ruger sp101 which is at that 30oz range - About the same as my EDC - For me the 30 oz weight is not an issue as I am carrying it regardless if I’m wearing pants - For me I’d find somewhere else to cut the pack weight from if weight is really that big of an actual issue

my choice, pardon the laughing in th background, th Taurus Ultralight 44 mag 4", it'll shoot 44 slp, 44 mag, or 44 shotshell, and one or the other would handle all occasions, bears, birds or nakes.
The Taurus, although cheap has taken over 200 mag rounds and still looks like new so, it's lots less, weight, and may or not use at all, status will be an accessory, not a main weight bearing item of a hike, known or expected predators are another issue, Rifle deserving, Kel Tec SU16C, 5LB, takes AR mags and 223 or 556, folds for backpacking
Ah a twiny lol

Back
Top Bottom