• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hey dudes

Several of the folks I have recommended the site to have not stayed around very long due to the reception they have received from some here. I get that many say, "you have to have a thick skin" and "if you don't like the conversation, go somewhere else" but my question is, "why does it have to be that way"? If some folks could lay off the new folks a bit and not assume every new poster is a ghost account from a banned member, maybe the newbies would hang around a while and become more contributing members. I have seen a lot of complaints about there being less buying activity or even offers. PERHAPS it is due to a lower number of new members.

Here is where I get my feathers in a ruffle. This site is what you want it to be and has been, for the most part, pretty well segregated to allow for that. If you want to buy and sell only, stick to the classifieds and you'll have plenty to do. If you wish to wade into the conversation, feel free to join the other areas of the forum. You needn't participate in both. If a new user is looking for a warm welcome, we have an entire subforum dedicated for that where newbies can find out that indeed, the adventure is worth the cruise....or something. However, if your first post is in the BR, or you come on and *gasp* express an opinion contrary to the current, don't expect a necessarily glowing reception. The same is true in real life...why should this forum be any different?

Having said that, I do grow weary of all the "what was your old username" posts that pop up when a FNG comes around. When I first moved to ATL, I inherited a cell number that apparently belonged to someone who was in a lot of debt and I got harassing collection calls for almost a year.....so I know how aggravating it can be to have to prove you aren't someone else.

I think memes are funny.
Me too. :laugh:

I just wish folks would keep in mind that not everyone has read every post of every thread here. Sometimes the new guys would like to discuss things too. If the vets are tired of that particular topic, why not just move on? Not receiving a response will achieve the same result as flaming them and not alienate them at the same time. I know, cause I've heard crickets in a few of my threads from time to time.

There's the other side of that coin, though. If the new guys want to discuss something...maybe take two seconds and see if there's a thread about it already and chime in there? It's a website about buying and selling guns....maybe there's already a thread about the validity of bills of sale? Maybe? I get it....go easy on the new guys but from my perspective, when I join up with a group, I take it easy at first...get a feel for the climate and then ease my way in. I don't kick open the door expecting everyone to do things my way.

Anyhow....I appreciate your post, Jack. Thanks for taking the time....I do wish, though, that you hadn't closed your open carry thread :boink: ;)

Here is where I get my feathers in a ruffle. This site is what you want it to be and has been, for the most part, pretty well segregated to allow for that. If you want to buy and sell only, stick to the classifieds and you'll have plenty to do. If you wish to wade into the conversation, feel free to join the other areas of the forum. You needn't participate in both. If a new user is looking for a warm welcome, we have an entire subforum dedicated for that where newbies can find out that indeed, the adventure is worth the cruise....or something. However, if your first post is in the BR, or you come on and *gasp* express an opinion contrary to the current, don't expect a necessarily glowing reception. The same is true in real life...why should this forum be any different?

Having said that, I do grow weary of all the "what was your old username" posts that pop up when a FNG comes around. When I first moved to ATL, I inherited a cell number that apparently belonged to someone who was in a lot of debt and I got harassing collection calls for almost a year.....so I know how aggravating it can be to have to prove you aren't someone else.

Me too. :laugh:

There's the other side of that coin, though. If the new guys want to discuss something...maybe take two seconds and see if there's a thread about it already and chime in there? It's a website about buying and selling guns....maybe there's already a thread about the validity of bills of sale? Maybe? I get it....go easy on the new guys but from my perspective, when I join up with a group, I take it easy at first...get a feel for the climate and then ease my way in. I don't kick open the door expecting everyone to do things my way.

Anyhow....I appreciate your post, Jack. Thanks for taking the time....I do wish, though, that you hadn't closed your open carry thread :boink: ;)

Hey man, just calling it like I see it. Thanks for the additional input. You have some good points. I will say that the crossover from conversation to sales and vice-versa shouldn't be overlooked. From my own experience, involvement in some good thread conversation has lead to more than a few good deals when you weren't really shopping for one. If a new guy gets red-assed off the bat, there's one less potential buyer, whether he was thin-skinned or not.

The same is true in real life...why should this forum be any different?

That's kinda my point. NO one would yank a meme out of their pocket upon hearing the same question from a different person at a gun show, gun store, their place of business, on the street or at Target(see what I did there). I'm not saying I haven't thought about it. A respectful "a quick search of the board should yield plenty of results on that topic" might work, especially for someone who doesn't know how to do that.

If I had seen bypass's response before my last post, I might have given that thread another breath or two. The first meme was funny, the second a little disappointing, the rest, just downright superfluous and mildly rude. Maybe I was feeling a little vulnerable, it being Sunday morning and all. Sorry for the "post w----s" line...kind of. I didn't mean you though...:rolleyes:

I amended the rules to no longer allow "What was your previous user name?" posts anymore. If you suspect that a new member is someone who was banned previously then post in the private help forum and we'll take a look.

Maybe have 2 different red banners. One for Item Gone when the seller marks it as sold and one that says Expired when the listing expired. Should prevent people from messaging the Item Gone listings and let's them know they may have a chance of it being available if it's just expired.

Back
Top Bottom