• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help with lettuce growing

So should I just collect the seeds from these and try again around dec-jan?

Well I would agree with the other poster that suggested dumping the Iceberg. We use romaine and other types of lettuce. If you want a head type lettuce go with a butter head or some similar type. We don't grow iceberg.

Now THAT sounds like the 4 year old lol, we were eating out last week and someone had the nerve to put parsley on his chicken finger plate....he refused to eat anything until all the green was assembled in one stack so he could keep an eye on it and make sure it didn't touch his food.
Mine's not 'quite' that bad but I like that boy's style. Reminds me of a very young GeauxLSU.... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

MY advice is dont grow it again. Iceberg has no nutritional value and you should do spinach or romaine
Yep, wifey much preferred the grown spinach and just used it in place of all lettuce.

10-4. This was our first planting experience and were learning a TON as my wife & I go.

Also, lettuce seeds are so inexpensive that I wouldn't try to save the seeds. They are so tiny its hard to harvest and keep up with them. We have had good luck with almost any leaf lettuce, even the cheap walmart or dollar general stuff.

Lots of other leafy greens with more nourishment than lettuce. Spinach, arugula, Swiss Chard, kale, etc. And of course, there are collards, and turnips. I usually plant these in the fall--September just as it starts to cool and grow till frost. Collards and turnips and cabbage will continue to prosper after the frost.

Lots of other leafy greens with more nourishment than lettuce. Spinach, arugula, Swiss Chard, kale, etc. And of course, there are collards, and turnips. I usually plant these in the fall--September just as it starts to cool and grow till frost. Collards and turnips and cabbage will continue to prosper after the frost.

We have had good luck with kale and it's very tasty fresh from the garden.

Plant Black seeded simpson lettuce..

Planted mine in March, got a ton to eat and just mowed it down last week when it started to bolt

Try a small fluorescent grow light indoors, T-5's are the business. A very small hydroponic garden (floating raft) is easy to make and quite productive.

Back
Top Bottom