• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help with lettuce growing

Csanino

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
134   0
Reaction score
I planted some lettuce in my backyard, my first time trying to grow lettuce so I dont really know if this is growing correctly.

lettuce.jpg

Its suppose to be iceberg lettuce. Doesnt look round like the store bought stuff does, and they have seemed to have sprouted flowers.

Any tips?

-Carlo

It has bolted. Lettuce grows best when its cold out. Once the temperature starts getting higher, they go to seed. You have to keep them in the shade and hope for the best when it gets hot. You should plant lettuce in the late winter as it can survive cold much better than heat.

That's not a summer crop. It should be started really early, indoors, as it takes 80-90 days to mature and will bolt in warm weather. Looks like it never headed and has now bolted. Not an expert but I believe that's a swing a miss. :(

We plant ours outdoors before the last frost in winter and it comes out great every year. I've never planted iceberg though, only leaf lettuces and and some of the butter head lettuce.

We plant ours outdoors before the last frost in winter and it comes out great every year. I've never planted iceberg though, only leaf lettuces and and some of the butter head lettuce.
I've done the same with butterhead and never had a problem. But it was harvested WAY before mid-July.

I've done the same with butterhead and never had a problem. But it was harvested WAY before mid-July.

I've managed to keep some in the ground through july but its really shaded and it starts getting bitter so I don't recommend it. Usually harvest way early... doesnt last long around our house anyway as my 6 year old pulls it out of the garden to snack on.

... doesnt last long around our house anyway as my 6 year old pulls it out of the garden to snack on.
Ha! Awesome. My 10 year would RUN the other direction. I'm afraid he's like he's daddy in that regard. :rolleyes: I just like the growing part, not the eating part. Good thing momma is around... :cool:

It has bolted. Lettuce grows best when its cold out. Once the temperature starts getting higher, they go to seed. You have to keep them in the shade and hope for the best when it gets hot. You should plant lettuce in the late winter as it can survive cold much better than heat.

So should I just collect the seeds from these and try again around dec-jan?

Ha! Awesome. My 10 year would RUN the other direction. I'm afraid he's like he's daddy in that regard. :rolleyes: I just like the growing part, not the eating part. Good thing momma is around... :cool:

Now THAT sounds like the 4 year old lol, we were eating out last week and someone had the nerve to put parsley on his chicken finger plate....he refused to eat anything until all the green was assembled in one stack so he could keep an eye on it and make sure it didn't touch his food.

Back
Top Bottom