• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help me figure out trailer spindle

Thanks my friends for all the info.
definitely will have southeast axle phone number in my phone. Not sure what it costs but when I was on the side of the road coming back from FL. It would have been worth a few hundred bucks to get me moving again!

Q: why are there so many bearing failures on trailers?
I’m positive my boat bearings were less than 1500 miles. Marine grease. Etc.
the only thing I can presume is Chinese bearings. (I should have spent more and got brand name).

People don't check the grease often enough or set the castle nut right which puts to much strain on the bearing. A lot of trailers use the greaseless bearings. They work great till you don't notice that the oil is leaked out. You can't go far without the oil in them. Ask me how I know. LOL

Lack of grease is the usual culprit for failure but if it only had 1500 miles and was greased either got dirt in it or defective. I pull boat to texas once a year and I always take time to recheck grease and bearings each time. Backing in and out of the water could also lead to premature failure if seals bad

People don't check the grease often enough or set the castle nut right which puts to much strain on the bearing. A lot of trailers use the greaseless bearings. They work great till you don't notice that the oil is leaked out. You can't go far without the oil in them. Ask me how I know. LOL

greaseless bearings. I need to look into that.....!
I don't want to pull my boat back and forth to FL just because of this....!!!!! In fact ordered a new boat to leave in GA and keep older boat in florida. Argggggg.

Utility trailer bearings fail because they are not maintained properly( bearing buddy's make this much easier). Boat trailer bearings fail because they are subjected to water and dirt every time a boat is launched. A good rule of thumb for boat trailers is to inspect and grease bearings after every third launch.

greaseless bearings. I need to look into that.....!
I don't want to pull my boat back and forth to FL just because of this....!!!!! In fact ordered a new boat to leave in GA and keep older boat in florida. Argggggg.

Damn, If I had your money I would throw mine away.

https://www.discoverboating.com/resources/keeping-water-out
Read the oil bath hubs.

They have there advantages and disadvantages. The biggest disadvantage is if the hub cover gets a crack the oil slings out and you don't know it till its to late. I personally don't care for them for that reason. But it's like everything they work great till they don't. I had a buddy shut down 85 in the middle of the summer because of one of these. He was on his way down 85 when the bearing gave out and the oil caught on fire. When the tire came off of the trailer it started a fire every time it landed on the median. There was a quarter mile of median on fire by the time the fire trucks arrived. They couldn't get anyone there to repair the trailer till after the fire was out and they reopened 85. His 7 hour trip took over 12 hours. It was one of those funny not funny things.

Yikes. I had a blowout on a diesel pickup truck one time and it caught 316 on fire for a solid quarter-mile.

And this is the second time I have disintegrated a bearing on a trailer. Safety comes to mind, so I don’t mind spending a bit of money to guarantee no issues. If that means keeping a boat in Florida and keeping one here in town, so be it

Yikes. I had a blowout on a diesel pickup truck one time and it caught 316 on fire for a solid quarter-mile.

And this is the second time I have disintegrated a bearing on a trailer. Safety comes to mind, so I don’t mind spending a bit of money to guarantee no issues. If that means keeping a boat in Florida and keeping one here in town, so be it

I remember once at Warner Robins AFB in 69 right before I got shipped out, there was a railroad track that ran parallel to the entrance to the base. I watched a long train with a hot wheel go by. A big car wheel that had seized up and was drug down the track....it was glowing bright cherry red..... never saw one again like that...

Back
Top Bottom