• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help me figure out trailer spindle

While I agree you're probably better off replacing the axle, you did grind off the wrong part. For future reference, the race is what needed to be split, that's the round part with the 2 different diameters, and the angled diameter in the center. The rest of it stays. Regardless that hub is toast, and you'll need a new one of those. That's the part still bolted to the tire.

Thanks fellas....!
The hammer was for after grinding to coax the spindle off. I am assuming it is welded about 2 inches from where I grinded "circumference welded". So I cleaned up the spindle with sanding disc on my grinder. They inner bearing now will fit. The outer bearing needed zero assistance. I'm assuming it was an inner bearing failure which caused an outer bearing failure.

Just wondering WTF I would do if I was a long way from home and I needed a spindle replaced like this. It is not the ones like boats that you can take off with a big nut. Grrrrrr.....

And I broke down last year on the way home from Florida with my boat/boat trailer. Bearing failure in LaGrange, 100 miles from home. Spindle was still good, just need to locate bearings and races. Four stores later and found them. Paid a premium for them, grease, jack, etc., and made it home 3.5 hours later. That was a long trip.

After that fiasco, I put together is a spare hub, spare bearings, grease, gloves, jack, misc tools,. all in a bag for when I go on long trips.

9E34864B-3089-4CEE-AE40-46EF7443545C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom