• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help/ guidance needed. Career change. (It got worse, more in comments)

I always had it feast or famine, nothing in between. Every time I got a promotion was just more work and hours. God bless ya. My wife and I made all the sacrifices for work. No family, no home life and few vacations. I guess we just did what we felt we had to do. I truly hope you find something that works for you. But in my experience it was just working for a living......Just remember one thing it's not what you make, it's what you do with it......

Like you, I hated my job, I was a mechanic at a Chevrolet dealership for about seven years, walked in one day and said I can’t do this anymore. A Friend suggested the fire department, I told him he was nuts. I never thought about being a firefighter but it turns out I ended up doing it for 30 years. It was a great job, I made a lot of friends and have a lot of good memories. Made it to Captain and I’ve been retired for about a year and a half, my retirement pay is great but good retirement plans are gone. My suggestion is look into it if you’re fit enough for it. Find a department with the best retirement, and a 24/48 schedule, this way, when you take one shift off, you’re off for five days in a row. My understanding is departments are having a rough time finding people to apply now. The thing about the job is every day is different. It’s not the same old same thing every day. Good Luck in what ever you decide!

I manage a local qsr business. I started straight out of high school in the food industry and roughly 8 years ago I got team position through a friend as a team member at my current restaurant. I worked my ass off to be where I am today and I make decent money. 2 years ago I took over as the General Manager and little by little I've been sucked into the corporate lifestyle. I've neglected sleep, proper nutrition, relationships and even family in order to do my duties. I took over after covid when the labor force went to crap. I'm miserable. I hate every aspect of this job. The toxic, fat and lazy upper management is no help iether. What is an industry or field I could transfer into that would allow me to see my 2 year old son awake more than twice a week and actually be able to support him? I don't mind starting over but 15$ an hour just isn't livable in today's economy. Who here has escaped the fast food biz? How did you get started and what do you do now?
Where’s local?

Was in the soul sucking business that is fast food through the prime of my life. Even through multi-store management working most weekends was required. At age 42 I left my job as director of operations for a franchisee and bought an existing local independent restaurant. The owner had no clue how to run a business. Right place, right time, 17 great years, sold the business, it is still going strong 8 years later. I retired comfortably at 59.
Get out, man. No matter how good a job you do, in that industry you are one screw up away from unemployment. Full service chain restaurants are probably only marginally better. If you want to stay in the food business find a really good independent, start as a waiter if you have to.
If you have any skills in construction a handy man service would still be a great independent business.
best of luck.

Where’s local?

Near the braves stadium. Smyrna was never the cream of the crop but the stadium turned it into downtown Atlanta. Horrible traffic, the homeless multiplied, and the General labor force for the area is just laughable. Ohh the stories I could share with you. My restaurant is also open late. Won't share the name, but the drunk and stoned late night crowed has made it pretty unsafe. The BP gas station on Cobb parkway near the taco bell had a clerk shot not half a year ago with a string of robberies in the area. We never got hit ourselves but it's just not the environment I'd like to be in.

Was in the soul sucking business that is fast food through the prime of my life. Even through multi-store management working most weekends was required. At age 42 I left my job as director of operations for a franchisee and bought an existing local independent restaurant. The owner had no clue how to run a business. Right place, right time, 17 great years, sold the business, it is still going strong 8 years later. I retired comfortably at 59.
Get out, man. No matter how good a job you do, in that industry you are one screw up away from unemployment. Full service chain restaurants are probably only marginally better. If you want to stay in the food business find a really good independent, start as a waiter if you have to.
If you have any skills in construction a handy man service would still be a great independent business.
best of luck.

It is definitely soul sucking. There's always something to improve which means nothing will ever be good enough. I'm in a high volume store too so it just adds to the stress. If I got fired tomorrow I'd walk out of there with a smile. I may end up picking up a trade and going back to school but starting an apprenticeship at 30 years old just seems like going backwards. I'm fairly certain there's no future growth for me at this company so Ive been looking for a way out for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom