• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham radio question

carlton wright

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
333   0
Reaction score
How do I set up the repeater towers to talk long distance like I have one in Calhoun and there is one in fairmount . If my raido won't reach the fairmount repeater can I use the Calhoun repeater to reach it ? Would I have to put one on input and one on output ? Alsonhownwould I listen to the fairmount tower from Calhoun would it be the reverse of broadcasting to it?

So if the internet went down they would all go down ?
The DLINK ones will lose internet access, but the ones close to each other, they will still transmit to each other via RF. So you'd have a much more limited range if say SHTF and the internet went down. I believe they can transmit via RF indefinitely as long as there is power.

I just want to be able to talk to family and friends if shtf. I have my basic ham radio license KM4TQH but I really never got into it . Just trying to make sure I have good communication if shtf. I have the repeater programmed I think it works just testing it tonight with a friend. I may get more into it just so I am proficient in using the radios if needed. My little 2 meter radio is kind of weak. Thanks for the help guys any info is greatly appreciated

http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club

Use the link above to find a HAM club near you and join it. There’s a wealth of information among the members and they will be happy to help you get set up and answer your questions. I’m a member of EARS (Ellijay Amateur Radio Society) and we have monthly meetings along with a NET every Monday night.

Back
Top Bottom