• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grip Stipple Project - Here goes nothing!

I would have to have paid $100 - $150 to have it done somewhere else. That is how it saved me money. If I cared about trade value or selling it I am pretty sure I would not have done it. Being as I am not an ODT gun whore like most on here who trade the same 12-15 weapons over and over again that does not pertain to me.

Looks sweet. I agree with another post, a weapon is a tool, modify it so it works for you. Most of the people who piss and moan about stippling don't see it that way. But, as the say down in the atl, haters gonna hate.

giant,

Been a long time......hope all's well for you and yours.

The deal with stipple is all in the prep (as you figured out) and the temp of the iron. With some designs you will be able to see the difference in the temp of the iron so you have to be mindful of that and get in a "groove" and keep going from start to finish. The small pistols are much harder to do, as are all pistols when using the standard irons that you see in hobby shops.

If you want to do this type of thing, a high end iron with digital temp control makes life a lot easier. You'll also need a good dremal tool and a steady hand. I've done all brands and some are very hard material that turn out very rough to the touch, but look good. Some brands have soft poly and those will burn right through in a second! The hole in the mag well does not hurt the function, but it will hurt your wallet when you buy the guy a new gun (oops, good thing he was a close friend and yes I learned my lesson. I've done several of that same brand after the goof up)

As said here, stipple is not for everyone. I will say the group that I do work for most of the time use their gun as a tool and nothing more. Those are looking for a positive grip in any conditions and love it. If you use your pistol as a BBQ range gun or sell/trade often this probably is not for you. You don't buy a hot rod, you build it and keep it......and......for the most part, you won't get what you have put into a customized anything when you sell it.

I say Good Job, keep it up.

Thanks sir! It has been a long time. I spent alot of time overseas on deployments again and with contract work. Been out of the loop. Anywho. I will be up your way again real soon and might just let you show me some pointers.

The texture turned out like real fine sandpaper. Its sticky as hell but I could see it wearing down very easy with heavy use like on my Fighting gun. Getting it alot deeper without it taking ALL day is where I will need help. I am going to practice with a couple of different tips I bought the other day. This gun gets up to like 900 degrees and it burns the stuff up good and hot. Anywho.

Thanks sir! It has been a long time. I spent alot of time overseas on deployments again and with contract work. Been out of the loop. Anywho. I will be up your way again real soon and might just let you show me some pointers.

The texture turned out like real fine sandpaper. Its sticky as hell but I could see it wearing down very easy with heavy use like on my Fighting gun. Getting it alot deeper without it taking ALL day is where I will need help. I am going to practice with a couple of different tips I bought the other day. This gun gets up to like 900 degrees and it burns the stuff up good and hot. Anywho.

Kinda the same story here. Come on up and we'll compare notes.

You're right about the texture wearing down. You'll need to know your customer and plan for that. ie. range rat, keep it simple. If he's an operator, make it bite.

Back
Top Bottom