• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Get a load of this nitrous mill

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
A 731 cubic inch nitrous engine. If 731 ci. isn't enough throw some nitrous to it. 😁

Engine tech has gotten so insane since I started modifying and building. We couldn't imagine this sort of engine back then. I imagine the torque from that when you hit the button is unreal! I have driven my buddies FRC Z06 Corvette with 890 HP. It's a supercharged 6.0 and that car will scare you to death on the street with regular radial tires but I couldn't imagine something like this engine. 2000+ HP would probably be a mild engine.

During my building and racing days I found there is a delicate balance in HP to weight ratio. At some point it becomes bragging rights and useless RWHP and RWTQ for a street car. Now I know that some of you may say nah there is never to much HP. I disagree! If it's dangerous to stomp the gas pedal it's no fun. It alright to break traction but to do so at any speed at any gear is downright scary. No need for gobs of power you can't use. Unless you are a weekend warrior at the track on slicks then so be it. However, just for street racing it takes to much work to keep her in the road. I out ran many a car at the line where they just broke traction and were to hell bent on not lifting.

Currently..if you aren’t running a 500ci “small block”..or 900+ ci “big block”…you are playing for the scraps…
Well today things are just getting ridiculous and horsepower ability and the size of engines getting so big. It's just the fact that someone needs to build an engine that big and then throw nitrous to it is what's so humorous to me. You have to understand that I started modifying and building engines when I was 16 that's back in the early to mid 80s. So fuel injection was just starting to make an appearance. First in the Datson 280z with the Bosch fuel injection units which I learned about very early and that was state-of-the-art fuel management back then. Most domestic vehicles had some form of rudimentary and primitive electronically controlled carburetors and ignition. So seeing the market evolve like this is just been amazing to me. To somebody at 16 or 18 years old these days it just seems to be commonplace.

Agree on all points. For a legit “street car”..that can be driven any/everywhere..on common 93 pump gas..around 500hp at the back tire seems to be a good number..that’s manageable/driveable. Drag radials help..but suck if you drive long distances,or get caught in rain! With EFI and Boost..the sky is the limit,as far as making power goes..but what’s the point if it just makes more tire smoke,and makes the car scary to drive??

I agree there is a limit. I built a csb 434, all forged parts and Dart block, with the ability of putting NOS and or supercharger on it. It'll pull 650hp on pump gas with close to the same torque in a 3200lb car. Took it to the track once. They told me not to come back unless I put a roll cage and a fuel cell in it.......Too fast......LOL. I decided it was plenty fast enough without doing anything else to it. It's a happy median. It can be a hand full driving around town. Anymore and it would be strictly track. I've had that car for several years now and still very happy with it. A car of a lifetime for me

I agree there is a limit. I built a csb 434, all forged parts and Dart block, with the ability of putting NOS and or supercharger on it. It'll pull 650hp on pump gas with close to the same torque in a 3200lb car. Took it to the track once. They told me not to come back unless I put a roll cage and a fuel cell in it.......Too fast......LOL. I decided it was plenty fast enough without doing anything else to it. It's a happy median. It can be a hand full driving around town. Anymore and it would be strictly track. I've had that car for several years now and still very happy with it. A car of a lifetime for me
Oh they do not like those low ET's without the proper safety equipment. Roll cage, fuel shut off, drive shaft loop and other important equipment I just can't recall right off hand.

Agree on all points. For a legit “street car”..that can be driven any/everywhere..on common 93 pump gas..around 500hp at the back tire seems to be a good number..that’s manageable/driveable. Drag radials help..but suck if you drive long distances,or get caught in rain! With EFI and Boost..the sky is the limit,as far as making power goes..but what’s the point if it just makes more tire smoke,and makes the car scary to drive??
Exactly! After that the rear needs narrowed with a four link and tubbed with giant meats. Not to mention rull in race adjustable shocks at a grand a piece. That's not what I call a street car. Stock suspension with DOT approved drag radials made specifically for the street is all. Heads up racing. You rung what ya brung!

Back
Top Bottom