Votes: 4 40.0%
  • TT

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • SLK

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Z4

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Of your list, the Audi TT. Might also look at Miata, 350Z or the Honda S2000. Honda would be my choice for someone who doesn't do their own work.
I don't fit in a Miata. S2000 was what I wanted for a long time but they've gone up beyond their appeal and far too many have been modded and tracked ragged.
Heck I'd do a decent MR2 Spyder but probably even less practical than posted list.

I need a commuter. Debating getting something semi fun over practical.
I "think" I found a good rec for a mechanic that specializes in (only) German vehicles.
What would you get (probably 10 year old models)?
SLK
Boxster
Z4
TT

MUST be manual, comfortable for a 6' driver, and as "reliable" as such a class of car can be. 🙄

I have had 5 BMW Z's, 2-Z3's & 3-Z4's LOVED all of them. None were daily drivers and the Z4's felt much safer than the tiny Z3's. I gave up on straight shifts when I realized I couldn't shift gears as fast as an automatic could & Atlanta traffic... I know I'm in the minority but I had very few mechanical issues & only put tires & batteries in all of them.👍 I drove all your choices & the hard top convertible Lexus's before landing on the hard top Z4's (2009-2016) and probably 1 out of 5 is a manual... if you must.🙂. Get in a 35i automatic and put it in double sport mode & downshift it, it sounds AWESOME! The v6 turbos (35i) are pretty darn quick and the 28i turbo 4's get 30+ mpg. I always went with a 6 cyl. NOT great in the snow, Here is my 2009 that I paid $25,000 for in 2014 & traded for $25,000 (covid - used cars were selling for stupid $'s) in 2021 with less than 35,000 miles. I miss it terribly... but it wasn't lektrik :)
_Z4 in snow (6).jpg

35I BlueZ4 (7).jpg

Had a 2000 Passat that I LOVED...... Until it hit 100k miles. After that, it seemed like every time we took it in for an oil change, it was another $500-$1000 in additional repairs. My love slowly faded

If you're going to have a European car, you're going to need a spare car. With that said, I'd go diesel. BMW or Mercedes 3 series. Or Porsche Cayenne

I'd skip all on that list and get an older 3 Series coupe or convertible. They sell in good numbers, so there still should be nice examples at decent prices. Manuals didn't sell in big numbers but are available.

Fun, semi-practical for when that need arises and it wouldn't have an....ahem....image problem.

1694832918932.jpeg

1694833082298.jpeg

Could also look at the 2 Series coupes & convertibles of that era too.

Might as well say it....lol. No taco option??? :mod:

I'd skip all on that list and get an older 3 Series coupe or convertible. They sell in good numbers, so there still should be nice examples at decent prices. Manuals didn't sell in big numbers but are available.

Fun, semi-practical for when that need arises and it wouldn't have an....ahem....image problem.

View attachment 6228836

View attachment 6228840

Could also look at the 2 Series coupes & convertibles of that era too.

Might as well say it....lol. No taco option??? :mod:
I'd rather have a coupe than a convertible. I like the 2-series coupes, but I know I am probably in the minority on that. Plus, I'm too boring to ever pull the trigger on one.

Back
Top Bottom