• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Georgia Football

I’m a UGA fan, and I’m disappointed every time we lose a game.. But.....

Historically what you described is exactly what UGA is. We are not Bama of the ‘70s or past 10 years. We are not Notre Dame, Army, USC, or a legendary program that has ever won National Championships regularly.

We are a dominant SEC team, SEC Championship winning team, top 10 national team, can mess up a good season for Auburn and Florida on the reg. But where we are, and have been for most of the past 20 years is consistent with UGAs history.

The Goff/Donnan years were a down stretch for us, sure. Richt and Kirby are where I expect to live. Anything better is great. But yeah, this is historically about right.

And no, Fields never should have started during his one season here.
The SEC is a 3 tiered conference. At the top is of course Alabama and which ever team can put it all together for a season.
The second level is the better than average teams that never seem to be able line all their ducks up in a row and either lack the drive or the leadership to win the big games.
At the bottom is the cannon fodder that the others builds their reputations and winning records on.
Unfortunately for us Bulldog fans Ga seems to be perpetually stuck in the second tier with no end in sight.

I like Georgia. Anytime I thought Les Miles was doing the least with the most talent, all I had to do was look to Athens and soothe my feels. ;)
To the OPs point. UGA obviously has not had an on field talent problem for years. So the only place to look is on the sidelines. There's only so many variables.

Kirby > Richt, and it's not even close.

Hard to fault Kirby for the QB situation. Would have been difficult to put aside a very successful Jake Fromm in favor of a (then) unproven Justin Fields. Because Fromm was only above average in 2019, people forget how great a year he had in 2017. 2018 was good as well. 2019, he was questionable and I wonder if he wasn't playing hurt.

Kirby had UGA within one play of a National Championship: A very talented, backup QB (Tua) threw a miracle 3rd-and-a-mile pass on a play where a UGA DB (Parrish) got beat by a then-future superstar WR (DeVonta Smith). Two NFL level talent players made great plays, one average college player made a bad play, and the rest is history.

Kirby is also doing very well with recruiting. UGA routinely at the top of recruiting classes. That has paid off in running backs, linemen, receivers, and to some degree, linebackers. He hasn't had the same amount of magic with DBs or QBs, yet.

Just as Bill Belichick has been a 20 year obstacle for NFL franchises not named Patriots, so it is with college football programs not named Crimson Tide.

I think Kirby will get UGA to the promised land within the next five years.

people have a very distorted memory of the Mark Richt era. right now is the best time its ever been in my life to be a Dawg fan. Remember when UGA was still in the running for the National Championship thru the SEC title game 3 straight years with Mark Richt? No you dont. because that never happened.

remember that time Matt Stafford, Knowshon Moreno, and AJ Green hung 52 on LSU in Tiger Stadium? good times.
TWELVE years ago? And only won by 14? Ok hang onto that. Lol I had to look it up. Since then they beat LSU by a whopping one point. So 15 points in 2 games. That same time frame LSU won by 7, 32, 20, and 27.
I wish they played EVERY year. You?

TWELVE years ago? And only one by 14? Ok hang onto that. Lol I had to look it up. Since then they beat LSU by a whopping one point. So 15 points in 2 games. That same time frame LSU won by 7, 32, 20, and 27.
I wish they played EVERY year. You?
I do too. It’s always a fun game. Better than Vandy and Kentucky.

Back
Top Bottom