• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia Constitutional Carry

Are You For Constitutional Carry?

• Yes

Votes: 311 83.4%
  • No

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 26 7.0%
  • TACOS!

Votes: 19 5.1%

• Total voters
As long as I can still get a WCP so I can carry when I go to other states.
West Virginia does that, but it's a new law so they don't have nonresident forms yet. I wanted a Florida permit for Delaware carry, but WV is my home state and I want to support its constitutional carry law, so I'll call them next week to see how to apply. My only remaining hurdle is Maryland -- I'm going to try . . . .

Well, it turns out there is a very bad difference between senate bill 319's constitutional carry plan and house bill 1358's wording.

Nothing in Georgia gun owners email talked about this problem, but....

.... it looks like the House version deleted the word "private" in those areas of the bill that say a person in charge of "private property" has the right to enforce their own rules and policies about gun restrictions.

Well, by striking the word private from that it leaves open the idea that any public stadium, sports venue, entertainment venue, theater, or arena could be made off limits. That it's a pretty big change for the worse, because right now we have the state level preemption doctrine, and we have a very limited definition of what is a "government building" from which weapons could be banned only if there is screening at the entrances.

BOTTOM LINE: I i've told my representative in the house not to vote for 1358 until the private property language is restored to its original form,

and the bill does not do anything other than making a weapons carry license being optional not mandatory.

Like the image shown on the screen of The Yankee Marshall's video suggests,
HAMP DOWLING is with the EAGLE GUN RANGE in Macon, Ga.
Google searches show he's the owner.

And yes, he and his affiliated instructors have said that every new gun owner / carrier should get training. They've been saying that for many years.

Mr. Dowling himself did recently say that "constitutional carry" is OK if people have to get mandatory training to carry w/o any license.

(This begs the question-- without having any license, exactly how would "the government" know whether a lawful weapon carrier had ever taken and passed such a training class?)

I used to know some other professional firearms instructor from middle Georgia who was a member of GeorgiaCarry.org and used to attend our annual meetings, and he would disagree with the rest of the group over that same point-- he wanted to see mandatory training, at least for any "enhanced" license that would let GWL holders carry in places that have always previously been off-limits. AND I DON'T MEAN HE'D GRUDINGLY ACCEPT A TRAINING REQUIREMENT, thinking it was necessary to compromise this much to get the ability to carry in more locations. He REALLY, genuinely, preferred a training requirement.

I have never cared for Eagle Gun Range myself, and this just gives me more reason to not go there. Thanks for sharing.

Good point the guy made in the video, it is far more dangerous to drive a vehicle than carry a firearm. That is so true, but for some reason, no one ever considers it.

Roseweood

Well, it turns out there is a very bad difference between senate bill 319's constitutional carry plan and house bill 1358's wording.

Nothing in Georgia gun owners email talked about this problem, but....

.... it looks like the House version deleted the word "private" in those areas of the bill that say a person in charge of "private property" has the right to enforce their own rules and policies about gun restrictions.

Well, by striking the word private from that it leaves open the idea that any public stadium, sports venue, entertainment venue, theater, or arena could be made off limits. That it's a pretty big change for the worse, because right now we have the state level preemption doctrine, and we have a very limited definition of what is a "government building" from which weapons could be banned only if there is screening at the entrances.

BOTTOM LINE: I i've told my representative in the house not to vote for 1358 until the private property language is restored to its original form,

and the bill does not do anything other than making a weapons carry license being optional not mandatory.
You better call them back! This is the current language.

"
(c) Any person who is a lawful weapons carrier may transport a handgun
or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private
owners of property or private persons in legal control of
property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other
agreement to control access to, manage, or operate such private property shall have the
right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their
private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of Code Section
16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.
(c)
Any lawful weapons carrier shall be authorized to carry a weapon as provided in Code
Section 16-11-135 and in every location in this state not listed in subsection (b) or
prohibited by subsection (e) of this Code section; provided, however, that private property
owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement,
licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private
property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon
or long gun on his or her private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of
subsection (b) of Code Section 16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.
A violation of subsection (b) of this Code section shall not create or give rise to a civil
action for damages.
"

Back
Top Bottom