• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Front door - repair or replace ?

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I need to fix my front door. Over 20 years some wood rot in the frame, and it's developed some gaps.

Beyond my skill set; would you repair or just replace the whole thing ? Had one guy suggest it'd be cheaper to replace and I've had real problems finding anyone to do this kind of repair work.

Door1.jpg
door2.jpg

I’m dealing with the exact same thing right now. Get ready though. That looks like a 60” door which is what I am getting replaced. Hole depot charges $850 for a six panel door like that. There is a place in woodstock that is like $550. Those are obviously just material prices.

A good carpenter can replace the rotted places in a jiffy whether it's the bottom of the door frames or wooden window sills. Replacement material is usually PVC but when it's painted you can't tell the difference. And you will probably spend a whole lot less than the $800 or so for a complete door plus removal of old door and installation of the new door.

Give @Dallasdave a shout for more info. He's in Dallas, Ga. but does travel - he did a nice job on my front door.

Depends on the condition of the whole door as to whether you want to replace. But the rot can be easily fixed with bondo. You will have to replace or splice new nosing trim. Ive done several doors. Cut out the rot, fill with bondo and shape. If you can play with playdo, you can play with bondo.

I just changed a door and you can buy the 9 pane glass fiberglass door and wood frame for about $250. It was a standard 32 x 80.

Back
Top Bottom